PDA

View Full Version : Iray texturing problem

paoloray
May 11th, 2017, 12:52
nvidia mental ray iray in 3ds max 2018 assign texture to object ramdomly.
in scene merged from max 2016.
mental ray work correcly. Only mental ray iray ave this bugs.
why? (the same problem that appears in previos 2017 sp3 version.) is totally unusable.
only max 2016 now work correcly. I need this new version for compatibility PASCAL hardware.
any have a solution?
attach image:

image rendered whith mentalray iray , the texture are assigned randomly

image rendered whith mental ray , the texture are correct assigned

DavidM
May 11th, 2017, 18:16
Thanks for alerting us to the problem.

I have moved this to a new thread in the Mental Ray for 3ds Max forum (to avoid confusion with the Iray plugin.) I will run some tests here, but it may be worthwhile for you to prepare a simple scene that reproduces the problem. We're at the GTC conference for most of this week, so it may take us a few days to get you additional information or a workaround.

paoloray
May 11th, 2017, 23:29
Thank You David, i hope You can help me soon.
I have this problem in all scene that merge in new max 2018 file.
Same problem when I open directly 2016 file in 2018 version.
I cant buy new video card because this bugs. I can work only in 2016 version that no work With Pascal.
2017 version have the same bugs from 1 years ago. I trully hope that now that bugs will solved soon.
I have tried Whit a very simple scene create directly in max 2018 and the problem do not appear...
Sorry for my english.

3drealism.com
May 12th, 2017, 03:45
In iray 2018 I get the random texture error when I have Particle Flow in my scene. This problem occurs in 2017 as well, but not in 2016. If you turn off Particle Flow you will still get the problem. If you delete Particle Flow it should render fine.

There is also a new bug in 2018 - if a photometric light is behind glass it will show as "Light Shape Visible in Rendering" even if it is unchecked.

The Nvidia people have done a great job of getting this iray plugin up and running! And fixing the above would be great!

paoloray
May 12th, 2017, 15:40
Hi 3d realism.
I haven't particle flow in my scene. but bugs random texture appears too.

DavidM
May 12th, 2017, 17:41
The Nvidia people have done a great job of getting this iray plugin up and running! And fixing the above would be great!

Thank you for the feedback!

(Interesting!) I'll investigate the Particle Flow/texture issue.

You may have noticed the Professional Application Center. This tool allows us to alert you to new releases, and will automatically download and install updates if you choose. We're trying to maintain a rapid release cycle, and the issues you described are just a few that we're trying to get fixed right away.

(For even more rapid turnaround, we will have a beta program running in parallel where fixes will be tested first. Drop me a private note if you're interested in helping in our beta program.)

DavidM
May 12th, 2017, 17:50
Thank You David, i hope You can help me soon.
I have this problem in all scene that merge in new max 2018 file.
Same problem when I open directly 2016 file in 2018 version.

I'm sorry that you are having this problem. This is our top priority, and I will let you know as soon as I have more information.

paoloray
May 19th, 2017, 18:29
David, in new version of mental ray 1.0.1 this bugs is fixed?

moulder6
May 19th, 2017, 20:55
David, in new version of mental ray 1.0.1 this bugs is fixed?

Can u share a simple scene that shows this behavior?

DavidM
May 19th, 2017, 21:07
We have only fixed the missing DLL issue in 1.0.1.

We still need to triage and understand what you are seeing with textures. It may take a little time for us to get this logged and fixed. Any additional info you can provide to us, such as simplified scenes showing the failure will accelerate the process here.

paoloray
May 20th, 2017, 12:36
David, can i send you via Wetransfer a zip pack whith another scene more symple that have a bugs ?
Is worthwhile for you to solve the bugs?

DavidM
May 22nd, 2017, 19:25
David, can i send you via Wetransfer a zip pack whith another scene more symple that have a bugs ?
Is worthwhile for you to solve the bugs?

Of course! This would be very helpful. You can also contact me by private message here for other file sharing services that we use.

Marty
May 24th, 2017, 14:59
I have a similar situation. The file was created in Max17, opened in18. It renders fine with MR. Switching to IRay, some of the materials are changed and it renders very bright. After a bit of trial and error I have found if I hide a certain mesh in the model, all will render fine with IRay. That mesh is having some effect on the whole.

There are 2 of the same mesh in the scene, when are both are visible I get one result, when I hide one of them I get a different result, hide them both and all render correctly. Interesting...

antonscholtz
May 28th, 2017, 18:42
same problem here, 2016 file with lots of archdesign glass turns to grey in max2018, and render window flickers while rendering.

paoloray
May 29th, 2017, 11:00
David i send you wetransfer link. pease confirm if you recive this mail.
Paolo.

paoloray
June 1st, 2017, 23:15
I have no notice from administrator .. i hope that someone stil working for remove this bugs..

paoloray
July 21st, 2017, 01:19
I have no notice from administrator .. i hope that someone stil working for remove this bugs..

There are someone that work for this bug? There are someone that appear the bug "random texture" in iray?

3drealism.com
August 9th, 2017, 02:58
Hi, this texture issue should be easy to fix - we did not have this problem in 2016. It appeared in 2017 and I assume iray 2018 was based on the buggy 2017 version. For me, I only get this texture problem when I have Particle Flow in my scene - when I delete it the problem is gone. Also when you click on Render it sits on Rendering... for a very long time. These are very simple bugs and its seems like forever that we have had them - I have been using 2016 for over 2 years now. 2018 is totally unusable for me if I want to continue with iray - very frustrating! Could someone who cares please let us know where this is at!

paoloray
August 23rd, 2017, 22:11
thanks for your help.
unfortunately i have not paticle flow in my scene and i have this bug, in all scene that i have try to load.
i work whit scene for interior photorealistic image , I notice this problem from 1 years old.
now i work whit iray in max 2016 version whit 4 workstation x4 titan x maxwell (mr iray is very top quality for photorealistic render).
i need new hardware and i cant work whit pascal (2016 version not support).
iray+ whit max 2017 is unstable , crash frequently , enouge memory usage , complex matrerial , fallof shaders non work... incredible! in free mr iray work very fine! ... all 3d engine render work whit fallof .. why iray+ not??
in iray+ I NEED MORE THAN 5 MINUTES TO OPER A SCENE WHIT 5MILLIONS POLIGONS.. mr iray 2016 open the same scene in seconds.

there are someone that have the same problem?

3drealism.com
August 24th, 2017, 08:58
Hi Paoloray, do you want to send me a simple scene that is causing your texture jumble problem? I am not from Nvidia, but I can try and test it anyway. My email is: theo@3drealism.com

steve
September 4th, 2017, 17:59
iray+ whit max 2017 is unstable , crash frequently , enouge memory usage , complex matrerial , fallof shaders non work... incredible! in free mr iray work very fine! ... all 3d engine render work whit fallof .. why iray+ not??

The "mental ray iray" and the "iray+" plugins are different plugin implementations. While both provide you the "Iray" core rendering engine, they support different material and lighting systems. The mental ray based plugin tries to support all the known mental ray shaders also within iray, sometimes bypassing the PBR materials of iray. The iray+ materials and lights are fully based on MDL, which guarantees PBR shading and lighting, at the expense of some traditional "features".

Also, the MDL materials need to be compiled upon first load of the plugin, which may take some time if you have lots of, or large MDL libraries. But this should happen only once in your 3ds Max session.

paoloray
September 4th, 2017, 21:56
Steve thank you for your reply.
the problem "long time to open file" appears always not only on the first open max file, but always.
for my work i need often to simualte textile (sofas, bed an others) an the "fallof effect" are very helpful.
there are someone to know simulate "fallof effect" in iray+?
other settings very helpful is the SATURATION CONTROL on iray+ sun and sky. For interior scene i need to have a sun in near horizontal position that passthrought windows. in this case i need sun whith white lights an not red (in mr iray i can setting THE SATURATION of sun and sky)
Other bugs in max is this:
when i select object an delete it sometimes 3ds max select lights in scene an delete it whith obyect .. terrible.
i need look all ligts in scene for prevent this.
this for 1.3 version.... i hope in 1.4.
steve have you bug fixes report for 1.4 version?

3drealism.com
November 6th, 2017, 06:07
I found another cause that brings up the jumbled texture problem in iray. I had a scene that contained a mesh with 0 verts and 0 faces. Once I deleted it the jumbled texture problem went away. Unfortunately, the jumbled texture problem still exists when using Particle Flow - these 2 situations may be related in the sense that when Particle Flow generates geometry it is an instant of an original mesh and doesn't generate additional verts and faces - just guessing. Nvidia, this problem did not occur in 3ds Max 2016 so this is where you should be looking code wise. Please keep us updated - it appears iray has been abandoned.

Theo

steve
November 6th, 2017, 12:49
steve have you bug fixes report for 1.4 version?

Please post your Iray+ questions in the respective forum. See the announcement of the version 1.4 update (https://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthread.php?16255-Iray-for-3ds-Max-Release-1-4-0-(for-3ds-Max-2018-2017-2016)&p=66239#post66239).