PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray for Max 2018 Bug prevents it from being supported by Rebus Farm

dbowker3d
October 11th, 2017, 20:10
Quoted from a support ticket from RebusFarm today:
"Well obviously we would like to support it, but there is a Bug within MR for Max 2018 that kills several other Renderers on the Farm, so as soon as we get a fix we sure will support it again."

Um, Guys? What's the story here? I can't imagine that you are not aware of this, right?

This is now several months after MR Max for 2018 rolled out, yet it can't be utilized by professional outside render services? Really? This is a major problem don't you think? I have to say, it really does not seem like Nvidia is actually following through on it's promise that "development will be carrying forward and the future is bright for MR, etc. etc"

Take a look at the forum here- many questions and problems just go unanswered. This is not very reassuring to your user base and it's like you are just hoping to let MR for Max die of neglect.

As much as really do hope you keep moving forward (and if I know for know for sure will gladly purchase a subscription) if you aren't, at least be honest about it and put it out there. We need to be able to plan ahead too.

dbowker3d
October 16th, 2017, 20:09
So... nothing? Not even a "Sorry about this, we're working on it?"

Are there any dev.s or cust. service people even watching these forums?

steve
October 17th, 2017, 15:45
So... nothing? Not even a "Sorry about this, we're working on it?"

Hi Doug, is it still not working?
We are indeed in close relationship with Rebusfarm. We are also aware of issues in 3ds Max itself, not necessarily in our plugin, that seem to make it difficult for them to run it as a batch job on remote computers. Whether that's intended or not was unclear at the time.

dbowker3d
October 25th, 2017, 00:21
All I know is what they said to me, quote verbatim in the original post. I think you'll need to talk to them for additional technical information.

Again: When I submitted any job, MR or other, to Rebusfarm about two weeks ago, it would get kicked back as having "unsupported" plugins. In fact in that instance I wasn't even using MR as the renderer, and the scene had been built using a non-MR render engine. So there weren't any leftover materials, lights or what you might think would not work. When I asked for clarity from Rebus as what I was supposed to do, he said the at that time the only solution for Max 2018 was to remove all MR plugin attributes from the program. He stated that either way, it was an issue being caused specifically by something in MR for Max 2018.

BTW: Max 2017 works fine with Rebus with it and they still support that. But from what I can tell, they are assuming that this is your (the developers) issue and you need to fix it before they add it back into their farm.

steve
October 26th, 2017, 18:08
I think you'll need to talk to them for additional technical information.

Thanks for the details. It seems to be caused by general conflicts between plugins inside 3ds Max 2018.
We are collecting more information to see if that can be resolved in our plugin.

The 3ds Max 2018 edition introduced a new plugin model that all third-party plugins should adhere to.
We are confident that our Mental Ray plugin follows the new rules properly (as its separation was the primary reason for the fundamental change in 3ds Max).
Other plugins may not (yet).