PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell Vs Mental Ray test

subaqua
May 25th, 2007, 14:24
Can you spot the difference?

both took 10min to render on a Dual AMD 285 Opteron

http://www.users.on.net/~leo25/maxwell_vs_mentalray.jpg

here is a new render with Mental Ray, but this time the scene was tweaked.
This render took 2.5 minutes and the result is more refined then both images above.

http://www.users.on.net/~leo25/speed_mr.jpg

morbid angel
May 26th, 2007, 02:21
both images are good. I think the second one is maxwell.

Puppet
May 27th, 2007, 04:51
:) I suppose second image is maxwell

1.Difference is sample pattern.
2.Color absoption on glass.
3.And DOF on second image.

What is the shader on mr image?
Path tracing?

subaqua
May 27th, 2007, 12:29
Dam i was hoping no one will spot the DOF :D

I just used Final Gather for this. I used view in pixel radii with a size of 1 - 5, but if i did 1 - 1 the grain would of matched Maxwell.

Maxwell seems to be more efficient when rendering really fine renders and also DOF comes at no extra cost.

But the best thing about doing it in Mental Ray and using FG is that you can store the FG information and reuse it.

The main reason i did this is to show that at the end of the day you can get the same result with all renderers. But every renderer has there strong point.

Mental Ray's is its amount of control of what you can do.
Maxwell's is its easy to use and the Multi light feature.

Remydrh
May 27th, 2007, 17:38
That really is interesting.

I've not had a ton of experience with Maxwell but what I have had is that the renders are truly beautiful but the tradeoff is that they always take me WAY longer to render.

Have you noticed the time gap getting smaller with the newer versions?

subaqua
May 29th, 2007, 13:09
Yes maxwell is getting more efficient with each new version and they are also offering more control over what you can do.

Also a big thing about maxwell is they are being realistic on there render licenses.
with there render license it is for 1 machine no matter how many cores you have in it. This is good news for ppl with the 8 core machines. Also one license is only $395.