PDA

View Full Version : standalone cost

Olaf Finkbeiner
April 19th, 2009, 12:36
Hi there,
in the company i work for we use 3dsMax and render with MentalRay. We only use dual 4 core machines (8cores per machine (even in our renderfarm). Now i looked into getting standalone licences, that would change only two things for us: We could bracket render on all machiens together (i think) ... And we could change the 8bit framebuffer previews from srgb to adobergb...
The cost is as high as the hardware cost. So why should we spend this much on buying standalone licences, if we get much more performace gain by just buying more hardware for the renderfarm and useing striped rendering? For animations it does not matter at all... What other advantages would we have?

kind regards

Olaf

bart
April 23rd, 2009, 18:31
With standalone, you can get features that are not integrated through the UI. Currently, for example, in 3.7+(max 2010) this includes IBL, which could be really important performance-wise with some users.

Also, memory use from the application is removed.

There may be quite a few more reasons, or not, depending on what kind of stuff you are trying to do.

Olaf Finkbeiner
April 23rd, 2009, 18:40
re: IBL
Are you talking importons? Or something even nicer? Please explain...

thx

Olaf

bart
April 24th, 2009, 21:20
IBL

I'm talking about the new "environment lighting" options, when mental ray importance samples the environment, and automatically makes it a user area light, so that the environment is more efficiently sampled.

If you have Softimage 7.5, or max 2010, you can see it in the 3.7+ mental ray reference documentation.

Olaf Finkbeiner
April 25th, 2009, 13:22
Hi Bart,
hmm i cant find it... Maybe i am stupid but i only find stuff related to irradiance particles and IBL in the Mentalray reference of max2010...

kind regards

Olaf

bart
April 26th, 2009, 19:40
Indeed. It appears not to be in the manual included in max 2010. Couldn't find the mental ray reference manual in Softimage 7.5, either.

In the documentation for mental ray standalone 3.7+, there is a separate section called IBL, which is in the introductory section, and in the scene options.

Saturn
April 28th, 2009, 12:26
Hi bart

Can you elaborate a bit more on this new IBL features ?
I could not find anything in mental ray references manual provided in XSI 7.5 ( mr 3.7.50 )
The only references I found about IBL was a special mode with IP when you switch the passes number to -1.

What is this new IBL ? is that a new light function called in your illumination loop like any others light ?

Would be possible to post here a copy of the documentation ?

Thanks.

H.