Thread: MR Custom Shader for Maya 2014 Mac OS X - Works in Viewport 2.0 but Won't Render

Default MR Custom Shader for Maya 2014 Mac OS X - Works in Viewport 2.0 but Won't Render

I am attempting to write shaders for Maya 2014 Mac OS X (I'm a newbie).

Attached, you will find an Xcode 4.6.3 project for a very basic color shader. The attached also contains the .mi and .so files. The .so file was built from the attached project.

The attached .mi and .so files load into Maya 2014 just fine. As well, the shader works in Viewport 2.0. However, it will not render. There are no errors present. It just shows up blank. I have tried several different types of lights unsuccessfully. My Mental Ray render settings are the default settings. What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi JabbaThe Nut.

If you want to have success with custom mental ray shaders on Maya 2011 - Maya 2014 on Mac OS X you need to switch from compiling .so files to creating a .dylib.

I created a Mac OS X makefile and a compiled .dylib version of the TestShader:
    http://www.andrewhazelden.com/projec...Shader_mac.zip

TestShader_screen.png

Also, if you have issues with loading your mental ray shader in Maya, open the script editor window to look for diagnostic information. This information is written to the script editor window right after you start up Maya.

testshader_script_editor.png

Regards,
    Andrew Hazelden

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to do this. You are right. Changing to .dylib solves the problem. As well, I appreciate the make file. I do not have much experience with them. Seeing one in context helps me to better understand their composition.