Thread: query hair radius

Default query hair radius

Hair question:
    Is there a recommended way to get the hair radius at the point of intersection in internal space? I assumed there would be an mi_query but I don't see one. I'm probably missing something obvious.

The radius is part of the hair primitive geometry specification to be either per hair or per vertex.

So its not part of a query, as those typically help access texture and user vectors.

You want access in a hair material shader I assume? Ie, this is not a question about hair geometry shaders.
    Barton Gawboy

Correct, I would like to estimate the distance a ray travels inside the hair cylinder for attenuation purposes. I was rather hoping there would be some kind of shading function or macro that returns an interpolated hair radius.

A hair is always a thin ribbon pointing to the camera, so you do not have a cylinder - at least as much as I know.

Yes, but I'd like to estimate the distance a transmitted ray would travel through the hair if the geometric representation was an actaul cylinder and not just a ribbon.

I imagine that mental ray calculates the interpolated radius when testing intersections. Is this information copied to state?