Thread: Renders come out differently in viewport render region and output image

Default Renders come out differently in viewport render region and output image

Hi, several times i have experienced strange problem, which is when i render something in render region and then render it into image, output may come out quite differently in areas of high reflection. It seems like region render clamps the image somehow, while rendering into file does not, showing much more intense highlights. It can mean significant loss of time, fine tuning something that will appear differently in rendered image. Im not sure if its more related to mental ray or implementation, but i want to find out why it happens. Render output is typically 16bit exr and yes, render region settings and scene render settings are the same tahnks for any help. David.

That's becasue the XSI render region is 8-bit while your actual output may be 16 or 32-bit. Mental ray clips sample values for 8-bit framebuffers by default. This can be disabled by setting the undocumented framebuffer clip option to off. Since this option is not natively exposed in XSI/Maya/etc, you must write a geometry shader to turn off this option at render time. Here is the neccesary code:

Code:
    #include "shader.h"
    #include "geoshader.h"

extern "C" DLLEXPORT
    miInteger framebuffer_clip_off_version(void) {
    	return 1;
    }

extern "C" DLLEXPORT
    miBoolean framebuffer_clip_off(
    	miTag* result,
    	miState* state,
    	void*)
    {
    	mi::shader::Edit_fb framebuffers(state->camera->buffertag);
    	size_t framebuffer_count = 0;
    	framebuffers->get_buffercount(framebuffer_count);
    	for (size_t i=0; i < framebuffer_count; ++i) {
    		const char* name;
    		if (framebuffers->get_buffername(i, name)) {
    			mi_info("%s: clip off", name);
    			framebuffers->set(name, "clip", false);
    		}
    	}

*result = miNULLTAG;
    	return miTRUE;
    }

Cool, thats exactly what i needed. Thanx!

Tried your code but turning the clip option on and off doesnt seem to make any difference in render region. Any hints? Using softimage 2012.

Do you have all the other options set for linear workflow, e.g. colorclip raw, dither off, desaturate off? If so, you may be running into a different issue and will need to post more information, example renders, etc.

See attached scene, the highlight is different in region and preview window. "ClipOff" shader is included in the scene...
    clip.zip

Note: Compiled shader requires VS2012 redist.