Thread: iray and Custom Lens Shaders

Default iray and Custom Lens Shaders

Hi. I am interested in finding out if iray has the capability to support custom lens shaders for adding features like angular fisheye and latlong rendering modes. How would the iray implementation of a lens shader compare to a typical mental ray lens shader?

Would a lens shader be created in iray using the NVIDIA Material Definition Language?

Thanks,
    Andrew Hazelden

Damn... I was basically looking for Domemaster3D for iray ... the community seems to be extremely small. Did you ever got a reply form NVIDIA?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewHazelden View Post
    Hi. I am interested in finding out if iray has the capability to support custom lens shaders for adding features like angular fisheye and latlong rendering modes. How would the iray implementation of a lens shader compare to a typical mental ray lens shader?

Would a lens shader be created in iray using the NVIDIA Material Definition Language?

Thanks,
    Andrew Hazelden

Hi Andrew,

Iray does not support to write custom "shaders", like you would do for mental ray. What you can write with MDL is "materials", including its emissive properties, aka "lights".

However, Iray will provide new builtin lens types going forward, to support VR and stereo.