Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Maya 2015 and mental ray GI GPU prototype

Are you setting GI GPU to "on" or "diffuse"? Are you using FG "automatic" mode?
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

For that render I used "diffuse" but I've tried it with and without and gotten the same result. FG is set to "automatic"

I'm going to triple check and try a render with diffuse unchecked.
    Last edited by lokanpho; July 16th, 2014 at 00:19.

Confirmed. The light increase occurs when the diffuse mode enabled as well as disabled.

mr_GICPU_1.21.02.jpg

This image is the new GI on the *CPU* set to *on*. Since FG is handling the specular interaction right now I had it switched to "force" mode with 4 rays for simplicity.

Render time is 1:21:02 at 1080HD

Still some light noise but not too bad. No light importance sampling yet.
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

nice renderings so far I'll join with some tests as soon as possible!

Is it somehow possible to temporary disable the viewport and unload the gpu memory before rendering?
    Unfortunately my GPU (GTX 670) has "only" 2 gig RAM and some larger scenes are crashing when I'm trying to use the GPU...

Not sure, might be able to initiate a batch render and them close Maya. Watch the render with imf_disp socket

Note that I'm not using portal lights.

You can use the CPU to render, the last image was running the technique on the CPU. Here were my settings:

mode: on (not diffuse)
    rays: 55
    passes: 9
    filter: 10 (kinda high but my scene is directly lit for most shadow details)

fg force: 4 rays

bounces: 2

FG force ate most of my time for rendering. This machine is a bit of a beast though, dual 8 core Xeon.

All materials are MILA, clamp on, set to 10.0 level

Quote Originally Posted by Remydrh View Post
    Not sure, might be able to initiate a batch render and them close Maya. Watch the render with imf_disp socket
    okay That might work... But isn't really a good workflow if you are trying to improve your rendering and have to restart maya everytime.
    It would be really great if autodesk would provide a viewport disable feature in 2016...That would make the GI GPU much more useable for some "older" GPUs and large scenes.

But I'll definitely do some CPU tests as well!
    Last edited by Actinidia; July 16th, 2014 at 21:56.

Just did some tests with a simple cornell box.
    Goal: Noise free GI as fast as possible.
    I also made a litte camera pan to see if it's still clean in movement

My Specs:
    i7 3770 (3,4 GHz Quad-Core)
    GTX 670 2Gig
    32 Gig RAM
    __________________________________________________ _____________

GI diffuse
    Passes 4
    Rays 75
    Filter 3
    Unified Sampling 0.25
    Area Light 64 Samples

3 min (CPU)
    50 sec (GPU)

mr.png

Arnold
    AA 2
    Diffuse (This is what controls GI quality) 10
    Light Samples 4

4 min

arnold.png

The GPU massively outperforms my CPU. The new GI GPU just seems incredible fast
    But even the new GI with CPU is faster than arnold. (There is still some noise left in the arnold rendering)

I attached the file below. Maybe there is someone with some vray skills and can do a comparison

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b09gytnje9nr792/cornellbox.ma

In my tests on the scene I show about, other current path tracers can take up to 14 times the render time of the new GI on the CPU. Nearly 28 times the time of the GI on the GPU.

Scene with complex lighting will also benefit from Light IS in mental ray making this even faster to resolve for noise. In my case I can't use it in my above scene because of some disc lights. I will replace them with object lights and see how that goes but it should be faster to render than it is now. Below is an image with more reflectivity rendered in 1 hour and 15 minutes. A competing production VFX renderer could not finish the frame for similar quality in 14 hours and 30 minutes...

mr_GIGPU_1.15.51_refl.jpg