Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3ds Max 2015 and mental ray GI GPU prototype

Cool 3ds Max 2015 and mental ray GI GPU prototype

Hi mental ray for 3ds Max users,

this thread is collecting information and feedback about a new GI solution that is able utilize the GPU for acceleration of the expensive computations.

A prototype version is delivered with mental ray for 3ds Max 2015. It is not exposed in the user interface by default yet, but can be enabled and controlled with the help of string options. We provide a custom UI extension that you can use to test this feature easily. We are very interested to hear your feedback.

Download of the UI script:

gi_gpu.ms

Please, add Close function to script - by removing Style in createDialog.
    Last edited by hglr123; July 7th, 2014 at 09:23.

Hi Steve,

if you want, can you use Render Optimizer. I see your default setting, i will update for Render Optimizer. I have a question, it give more string option, but the script use not all. Why?

use it: "gi gpu"
    not use it: "gi gpu presample density"
    not use it: "gi gpu presample depth"

use it: "gi gpu rays"
    use it: "gi gpu passes"
    use it: "gi gpu filter"
    not use it: "gi gpu depth"

and if a render with GI GPU, can i FG set off, or must it on?

mfg
    hot chip

Hi Guys,

i have test GI GPU on a new Design study. System was Win7 64 Bit, Quadro K6000, Dual Sixcore Xenon 2,56 Ghz.

I now understand more and more the new technolgy. I have update Render Optimizer V4.

more information on my website: http://www.infinity-vision.de/blog/gi-gpu

infinity_vision_timeout_Cam1_GIGPU.jpg

mfg
    hot chip
    Last edited by thorsten hartmann; July 11th, 2014 at 18:20.

I'm actually dying to hear your thoughts, what do you think so far? What did you learn? How will you change your settings?

These images are good, render time seems reasonable as well.
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

Hi Remydrh,

- i have screent shot from my settings, see you on my website.
    - i must disable IBL
    - i use unfied sampling and donĀ“t want use a other AA method. Passes = -1
    - i can set the rays to 8
    - important was to find the correct Filtesize. 20 looks good, if i use 10, i must increase the density and rays. That cost to much rendertime.
    - depth and density is from the FG Settings.
    - i test presample to 3, but this cost to many rendertime
    - i have use the ON mode, not diffuse mode, because i have transparency Wall.

Fazit: The Rendertime goes faster, but you see Final Quality for stills. The most rendertime comes from the very high Unified Sampling settings.

Why are you disabling IBL? Does something look wrong? In this case it's an interior mostly but was there something wrong on other scenes?

Filtersize 20 seems really high, are these at their original render resolution? That would be 20 pixels in size.
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

Hi Remydrh,

GI GPU is the same way as irradiance particle. You need only a mr_sky or a OpenExr in the Environment. If i have IBL on, was the image to bright. The Render resolution is 1920x2444. All on my Website. I must set the Filtersize to 20, because lower values give me cloud on the ceiling.

presample of 3?
    did you do some tests with lower values like 0.4 and higher like 2 and could you see some differences? from my experience there should be none or lets say only a small difference.

ibl direct light is not necessary because gi gpu is doing the job, right. this is one of the best things because its really fast compared to the direct light version.
    the most important value is the passes value. increasing it will "smooth out" the noise when using lower ray counts.

and what you wrote with "not use it" in your first post is not correct from my tests.

try these values:
    "gi gpu" on
    "gi gpu passes" 24
    "gi gpu presample depth" 4
    "gi gpu depth" 8 (8 gi bounces because its an interior)
    "gi gpu presample density" 0.6
    "gi gpu filter" 1
    "gi gpu rays" 250

you can also increase the raycount and maybe lower the passes value. these values should give you a good noiselevel.

a general note on your renderings. i miss skylight. you have some of it in but the intensity is to low. from an exposure point of view you need much more of it when viewing from inside the room to the window. also with all the lights, the main light should come from the outside. if you lower the intensity of the skylight that much (what you did in your actual render) than you have also to lower the intensitys of your roomlights (the perception is that the roomlights are brighter then the skylight as it is, which is wrong). this will end in underexposure and will force you to increase the lighting in your scene in general. so best would be to increase the skylight and sun intensity. do some test in your flat with a camera and see what happens when decreasing and increasing exposure, will be a good reference.

Hi Kzin,

Sorry no way, you settings is to slow!

do you understand the option correct? 250 x 24 Rays is to high.

density of 0.6 is to fine.

filter size of 1, Why you want only filtering 1 Pixel?

or i am not understand correct the options.

Edit: i have new Settings, rendering is coming! @Remydrh. I have now good fast settings with Filtersize = 10. Looks great.
    Last edited by thorsten hartmann; July 12th, 2014 at 15:02.