Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mental ray 3.12 GI GPU prototype

GI on the GPU may inherit some settings from FG. If you use "diffuse" GI mode, FG can be off. If it is "on" then FG takes care of specular interaction in this prototype and should be on.

Legacy GI (photons) is completely unrelated and should not be used.

If GI mode is "diffuse" I have everything else off.
    If GI mode is "on" then FG is on with appropriate settings. I typically use force mode with 4 rays. Longer render time for now. (much longer but high quality) Most will use use FG Automatic without problems.

Mayastate should not be complaining about an unexpected ray in Maya 2015. It doesn't for me anyway.

Be sure you're using a service pack with the builtin_object_light.mi or it might crash for failure to load the object lights.
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Remydrh View Post
    Be sure you're using a service pack with the builtin_object_light.mi or it might crash for failure to load the object lights.
    Hmmm, interesting. I'm running Maya 2015 SP2 and went to check under my mental ray Shader Manager, there's no builtin_object_light.mi entry (just the builtin_bsdf.mi) so I guess we now know who the culprit is for the crashes. Time to go hunting.

I'll post an update as soon as I found the file.

UPDATE:
    So I created the builtin_object_light.mi file with the declaration, but it seems like nowadays Maya 2015 needs a builtin_object_light.dll file as well. I saw in the SP1 notes that Autodesk still needs to fix the builtin_object_light on Windows (Mac and Linux was fixed). I also just now saw Maya 2015 SP3 is out and I'll download that and test it in the morning again.

We're making progress, slowly but surely. Thanks for all the help so far.
    Last edited by FMaree; July 23rd, 2014 at 22:17. Reason: Update

Default Will try asap

Quote Originally Posted by Remydrh View Post
    I know the scene I have here works (end of post): http://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthre...9631#post49631

Maybe try that. Or there could be something eating your GPU resources. Not sure about another cause.
    Thanks Dave. I'll give that a shot.

I can run builtin_object_light.mi without a .dll or .so. it's "builtin". Should be fine for you. I'm ok in Windows or CentOS. I remember in the release notes for an SP they were supposed to restore the .mi for object lights but that may not have actually happened.
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

Awesome, it's all working. I realised that there's a separate update now for mental ray in SP2 and SP3. I suspect I might not have installed the one for SP2. I got the builtin_object_light.mi and the GPU is now definitely being used to help.

Thanks for the help Remydrh.

Hi,

I ran into a little problem trying the new GI_GPU:

I installed Maya 2015 SP3
    In maya I opened the studioSsetupTestmrObject.ma scene from elementalray
    I ran the Mel Script and started it with the command GI_GPU

The problem is, whether I turn on "Use GPU" in the Interface or not, it does not accelerate the render
    I tried in some different Scenes but I cant achieved an acceleration in the render time
    It doesn't even make a difference if I change the settings in the GI_GPU interface like the rays from 610 to -1, it looks absolutely the same

I'm running Mac OS Version 10.9.4
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    24 GB RAM DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB RAM

What does your terminal readout window say with progress messages on?

Specifically does it presample for GI GPU and then what does it say after that?

Mine literally had the display adapter fail but heres what the renderer said happened

SYSTEM: Production renderer is changed to NVIDIA iray. Previous messages are cleared.
    IRAY 0.10 29 MB error: CUDA device 1: SLI is enabled, may render slowly or behave erratically (it is strongly recommended to disable SLI with iray)
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 295): the launch timed out and was terminated (while launching CUDA renderer)
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 295): Failed to launch renderer
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 295): unknown error (while launching CUDA renderer)
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 295): Failed to launch renderer
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 295): Device failed while rendering
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 295): Device failed while rendering
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 295): unknown error (while initializing memory buffer)
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 295): the launch timed out and was terminated (while initializing memory buffer)
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 295): unknown error (while de-allocating memory)
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 295): the launch timed out and was terminated (while de-allocating memory)
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 295): unknown error (while de-allocating memory)
    IRAY 0.25 88 MB error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 295): the launch timed out and was terminated (while de-allocating memory)

It did however not completely shut down the machine with a BSOD and did finally render, I'm going to try loading cuda up and see what that gives me, My pet hates are things that don't work
    so making it my mission till this works perfect

These errors all indicate an iray error. GI on the GPU is not related to iray and is a feature of mental ray. Did you mean to try GI on the GPU instead?

3 renders:
    001 standard FG low preset 3m26s
    002 gi gpu diffuse only 1m26s
    003 gi gpu with diffuse only UN-checked 2m35s

FG was on in each of the renders - which appears to be wrong if using the "diffuse" mode.

noticed gpu load bumped up but only momentarily (what you see in attachment is 002 and 003 above), and dropped only after a few seconds.

other attached image shows gpu load. the two bumps are the 002 and 003 renders.

Attachment 5238
    Attachment 5239
    Attachment 5240
    Attachment 5241