Thread: Camera Clipping, Section Planes, or anything like that?

Question Camera Clipping, Section Planes, or anything like that?

Dear Friends!

I've just stuck with big problem - iRay doesn't support Camera Clipping.

I've read about Section Planes on iRay BLOG, here:

http://blog.irayrender.com/post/4811...section-planes

So the question is how can I enable this in iRay for Max 2015?

Or any other solution for this problem???

I would be very gratefull because this issue can jeopardize my whole project!
    kcpr raffaEl,
    iRay BLOG & Portfolio: www.rendergarden.org/en
    see my iRay Gallery in this forum

The Slice Modifier does exactly what is shown in the blog post.
    Just assign it to an object - or even multiple objects at once.

Cap Holes Modifier on top can close holes if desired.
    A Shell Modifier provides thickness to your model.

I'm looking for feature instead Clipping Planes.

In regular engines you could render the interior with clipping planes enabled - which enables you wider angles of view or less perspective.

I have to match the perspective with reference render made with VRay and this effects that my camera is outside the room.
    With Clipping Planes working - this is no problem, but I'm looking workaround for iRay bacause it doesn't support it, and I can't hide objects - they're reflected in mirror.
    kcpr raffaEl,
    iRay BLOG & Portfolio: www.rendergarden.org/en
    see my iRay Gallery in this forum

The clip planes are coming with mental ray 3.13, and we are also working on an accompanying UI improvement for Max.

Default camera clipping dont' work

i renderig interior scene for architects and camera clipping is extremely essential!!!
    i hope find it in next SP. (3ds max) i cant work with iray for this.

i agree to... Camera clipping and a wrap around Shader for 360 Degrees Images, is a must have for archtitectural Visualization.

As said, 3.13 has it, Max is worked on..

As for the 360 degree thing: Cannot make promises, but maybe this time we have some time to implement a more general camera system (including this) in the iray core..

Hi there.
    I just had your same problem. Searched and searched, I'm an architect and do interior visualization sometimes. For me, imitating a human eye is key (cameras must be 50 mm). People want to help, it's like we are eager to respond with some sort of solution. Truth is, you are working with 3dsmax 2015. And you have a problem, because slice modifier won't do it. Of course, the modifier works, but that wasn't your question. Some don't understand, that what you want is to get a photorreal render, unless someone can show me how to clip light and shadows with a slice modifier, you will never get a render that's honest if you use that modifier, what you are doing is cutting the model! what if sunlight comes directly through it? Even if it doesn't, you'll still have indirect light coming in.

So, for 3dsmax 2015:
    mental ray does support clipping on 3dsmax 2015, but only if you choose scanline as the sampler on the rendering set up dialogue you'll avoid some issues with both skyportals and some opacity maps.
    iray does not support camera manual clipping.

viewport clipping doesn't work either, won't render

all you can do on 3dsmax 2015, if you want as much realism as you can get, is use mental ray as your production renderer with scanline sampling. Period

And then..we talk about all those things, that were not your question:

slice modifier:
    yeah, go ahead and apply that to your geometry. You'll have an instanced modifier, so you'll spend the rest of your life figuring out why things are cut or not until you realize that the modifier is instanced and once you turn it off on any of those geometries, you'll do so on all others too. Ok, then you'll realize that, and you'll work it out by making the modifier unique here and there so that the file is back to bearable. Still, you are cutting your model, no realism as of light behavior.

you'll also hear some say "use object properties / mental ray properties / make visible to camera (unclick), or making this or that "not renderable".
    Same story, loss of realism, when things aren't renderable, it means exactly that, they aren't computed and therefor they won't have light bouncing on them so the overall indirect illumination won't be photo real. And by the way, as soon as you go from one camera to another, you'll have to re-manage the whole thing, then you'll end up making copies of the file..that sort of thing.

bottom line, it depends on how much realism you are willing to compromise, but there's no solution, the only method that would keep your renders photo real, manual clipping, doesn't fully work on either mental ray or iray for 3dsmax 2015. All other methods are going to come with drawbacks. And I am all ears if someone can prove this wrong, all ears.

with 3dsmax 2017
    mental ray does support manual clipping, finally you can use the universal sampling mode (recommended). I haven't found issues with opacity maps.
    iray still doesn't support manual clipping, so we have to use a helper, the iray section. So far I've tested with 2 files, on one I'm having 0 issues, while on a different file I've had issues with iray section helper, but must figure out what's going on.

best of luck, and please anyone share your ideas, I'm totally thankful if proved wrong on everything!
    Last edited by waracana; January 1st, 2017 at 16:06. Reason: New tests

My bad - wrong forum