Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unpremult with maya2016 mentalray problem

Hello Bart,

Have you figured out a plausible workaround for this issue.
    Im so close to finishing my Maya2011 thru 2016 linear workflow tutorial but this issue in Maya2016 has me blocked as far as the section on rendering 8bit sRGB output formats.

Which material do you use ?

Im using basic built in maya materials surfaceshader and lambert

Ive posted a bug with Autodesk through the way Steve Suggested via the Help->Speakback
    And got email from Autodesk with bug number BSPR-20443
    Hopefully this will help.

In Maya2015 it is Help->ReportAProblem

I just tried this same test with Mentalray for Maya2016 extension 2 and the same issue exists.
    From watching an interactive render you can see the strange bright edge appear after the render has completed.
    So some post process is doing the bad thing.

It seems that all the renderers are lately opting to ignore proper gamma boosted unpremulted 8bit image output.
    Up until Maya2016 Mentalray was the only commonly used Maya renderer that did this flawlessly.
    Yes saving float exr works for unpremulted output but IMO there is still a need to fully support 8bit output.

Unpremulted output is particularly needed for compositing with 8bit gamma boosted sRGB PNG images.
    (When a PNG image is read the alpha channel is immediately used as a transparency multiplier which is what causes the fringing problems with premultiplied output)

Although paint software like Photoshop can read exr images it requires 32bit float mode which is very unpopular among Photoshop artists.
    Also I still use Gimp for many things and since Gimp has no float mode, this issue is a blocker.

willanie,

Please post a link to your tutorial when it is finished. I'm having trouble understanding linear workflow and your posts here I am actually able to follow, so I am very interested in your tutorial technique.

Also, I have a question about another renderer regarding premultiplied output. Not proper to talk about it here, so if you have a website or something, I would really appreciate your opinion.

joem