Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texture based on Normals ?

Default Texture based on Normals ?

Is it possible to place textures based on geometry slope or the deformation of the normals. For example; suppose you deform a sphere, the sphere now has a deformation and so you want to add a fractal texture to only the parts that are deformed on the mesh ?

Anything is possible. But to avoid too much scripting/programming, is it possible you could use a painted alpha matte to determine the textured area?
    Barton Gawboy

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Anything is possible. But to avoid too much scripting/programming, is it possible you could use a painted alpha matte to determine the textured area?
    Do you mean Generate a alpha matte based on the deformed normals; or paint one by hand ?

I found this shader, and I'm trying to get it to work with mILA but my results are unsuccessful.

CurveShader.png

I'm plugging the ramp into either the U or V of one of the available ports in the tc_curve shader on my test object. If you want the scene I can send ?
    Last edited by FalconCrest; December 29th, 2015 at 02:30.

If tc_curvature works, you might want to bake the output to a lightmap and use the textured result in MILA instead of plugging in a custom material to a MILA network.
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Remydrh View Post
    If tc_curvature works, you might want to bake the output to a lightmap and use the textured result in MILA instead of plugging in a custom material to a MILA network.
    Are you saying that a custom material in a MILA network won't work ? I've been struggling with this for a few days with no success. I was hoping it would work so I could have full control over the custom shader and build upon it.

One of the nice things about MILA is you can use parts and it makes debugging easier.

This is why I would try tc_curvature by itself to see if you get something useful before building it into MILA. MILA also works with its own components in a special optimized way, adding something else might defeat the optimizations, this is why I suggest driving it with a texture than another shader/material.
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

One of the nice things about MILA is you can use parts and it makes debugging easier.

This is why I would try tc_curvature by itself to see if you get something useful before building it into MILA. MILA also works with its own components in a special optimized way, adding something else might defeat the optimizations, this is why I suggest driving it with a texture than another shader/material.
    When you say MILA works with its own components in a special optimized way, what do you mean ?

An outside shader can work with MILA ?

You can connect an outside shader to drive things in MILA, but for this purpose it seems inefficient to do that (more evaluation for each frame). If the object isn't animated I'd bake out the results of the curvature shader.

You can connect an outside shader to drive things in MILA, but for this purpose it seems inefficient to do that (more evaluation for each frame). If the object isn't animated I'd bake out the results of the curvature shader.
    I can bake the results of the curvature shader in combination with MILA, correct ?
    It seems more effective to bake out, if it's animated; rather then if it's not.

If you just need the curvature data from the tc_curvature shader, just bake that and nothing else.

Then connect that baked result to MILA