Thread: displacement

Default displacement

whether it's the right way to do it or not, i've been pretty happy with the predictable results of using an Arch & Design material, unlocking the Displacement under mr connection, and using Height Displacement map with a 8bit or 16bit black and white image. i can set displacement values for that map ie. -4 inches and +3 inches. black = -4 inches and white = +3 inches. i can for example use this setup to make a nice set of tire tracks in 4 inches of snow, where the average level of snow outside the tracks would be at 0 inches in z-axis world units.

1. when switching to IRAY within 3ds max 2016 as the renderer, i cannot unlock and get the height displacement map. i can unlock and get "ocean".

2. the most excellent IRAY material for 3ds max has a displacement parameter but it is like the standard Arch & Design Special Purpose maps in that it only allows 0.0 to x.x, no negative.

3. black in the above two circumstances = no displacement, white = full displacement, but there really isn't a way to actually set the height. it's a matter of creating a box of x height and placing it on the surface i want to displace, test render, then adjust from displacement value of 1.0 to 2.0 or 3.0 or 4.5... until i reach the point where full white is the height i desire.

is there any other way to approach displacement in IRAY 3ds max 2016, or IRAY Plugin for 3ds max 2016 (which i do not have yet) to set height of displacement?

thanks!

haha! i'm like 50 for 50 in answering my own question immediately after posting. the displacement value of 1.0 or 2.0 or 4.5 is in world units. so in my case if i wanted a 12 inch high snow bank, i start with a photoshop black canvas, then layer on white on top until i get to pure white in the areas i want to be 12 inches high. then just set my displacement to be 12.