Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombo.tools: GGX, HosekWilkie sky, ThickLens and much more..

Lightbulb Rombo.tools: GGX, HosekWilkie sky, ThickLens and much more..

Hi there!

As promised this is the first part of a new shading package for mental ray.

With this release we wanted to line-up with existing materials and shaders just providing better sampling and microfaceting distributions. However there're already a lot of new features like a full lens system implementation, a new sun and sky and much more.

We're busy looking for the v.1.0 (a demo will come after that); shaders themself are rock solid, there's just some missing feature from the final version and you'll have instant access to a dozen and more scenes for learning and fun.

Hope this is welcome. See you there. Ciao.

https://www.rombo.tools
    Last edited by maxt; May 24th, 2017 at 11:42.

hi max,

the tools looking nice. can say something more about the shaders. for example, the ibl, is it your own or based on mr's one?

which maya/mr version is needed?

on the website, you wrote that the rendered images are done with progressive. from my experience, its actually hard to get good results out of it, so do you use your own method here?

Ehy thanks.

IBL shader uses a new hierarchical adaptive importance based tecnique to construct the sampling structure, it's all custom stuff.

Rombo.tools provide a custom adaptive sampler for the standard 'distribution raytracing' mode (ie. no build-in mi_sample() is being used) and some other importance based tecniques for the progressive raytracing mode. What I said on the blog is that with rombo.tools we push the boundaries of both progressive and standard modes but that eventually progressive is superior as a whole tecnology and that distribution isn't able to keep up with that for really complex scenes. Almost all the scenes on the site that are also available for download are rendered with mray standard mode, except for the all-metal spaceship and NikonD7100 where progressive has been used. All to say that if you use Rombo.tools it's not hard to get good results whatever you use standard or progressive

Rombo.tools have been tested extensively on maya2015/2016 on Win7/10, LinuxOpenSuse12.3/13.2 and OSX10.9/10.10.

Maybe a dumb question.
    Will there be the ever wanted, never seen object light shader for 3ds max within the Rombo.tools.
    I would definitely buy them.
    Last edited by maximus; April 11th, 2016 at 13:16.

Arrow

Look Rombo.tools have nothing to do with missing or unsupported features from nvidia. It's an advanced framework to support latest CG technologies in a user friendly way. Ever wanted mental ray with latest stuff as vray or arnold ? That's what are Rombo.tools.

I'm just finishing implementing for example physical thin film interference, complex IOR by colors, improved gabor noise etc. I call them with they techy names but it's the stuff you find already for example in the latest VRay. HosekWilkie sky .. does that sound weird ?! It's the sun&sky implemented in Arnold and VRay. ComplexIOR by colors is a research paper from Disney to let you tweak metals in a more artist friendly way. Ever had problems with high frequency (tiling) noise and its visible patterns ? With gabor noise you'll forget those problems. Adaptive sampling .. is just far superior than build-in fixed sampling in mila and mia materials and that's just one single parameter that most of the time you don't even need to touch for improved results.

I undestand your frustration from the last years on mental ray because I see mine. However now that global illumination is having finally a rework, now that lighting is importance sampled and internal structures are fast and rock solid, mental ray remains a wonderful platform where to develop anything CGI related. And if you add Rombo.tools, mental ray has nothing less than vray or arnold or whatever renderer you wanna add and we'll finish having even more if you support us.

At that point you may ask for object lights ! Just kidding. Once on 3dsMax I'll see what can be done but if I remember well from the times at autodesk it was a translator problem.
    Last edited by maxt; April 16th, 2016 at 12:37.

just a fast test with progressive (because i am busy at the moment), its really nice and able to deliver final frame quality. that feature looks nice sofar.

Ehy welcome aboard ! And please if any problem use Rombo.forums or Bart here will kick my ass sooner than later !

Just updated the blog with a couples of IBL and Sun&Sky entries :

https://www.rombo.tools/latestposts/
    Last edited by maxt; May 24th, 2017 at 11:43.

This looks interesting. I like the example file idea, might get new users on the right track, right direction. I wanted to ask though: is there a list somewhere where I could see what is included in the beta package? Exactly what shaders, scripts, functionality etc.

Ehy thanks,

about the features, you can check them at the end of each product page, click the circles over Material, Camera and Skylight to access the respective pages. Still at the end of the page you can access the respective blog category to have features explained in depth for each product.

Btw, Material needs just multiple outputs and is feature complete. Domelight is already features complete. The camera just needs some minor work on the bokeh implementation. With the next update only the deformation engine will still be left out.

Plus there will be new features and shaders still not mentioned on the website.

ciao
    Last edited by maxt; April 23rd, 2016 at 03:01.

hi maxt.
    i don't find on your site a detailed explanation of the rombo material or its usage and ui. Is that available?

thanks
    ron
    Last edited by ronviers; April 23rd, 2016 at 02:30. Reason: made it even better