Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombo.tools: GGX, HosekWilkie sky, ThickLens and much more..

We are currently making roadmap decisions, so this discussion is very helpful. Thank you. Together as a community, we are stronger than a sum of individuals. Don't want to derail the rombo stuff too much in this thread, but it was brought up. We could move this to a different thread.

Yes, we want to address mila issues, both bugs and performance. With now greater control over our direction, we want all material libraries including custom ones like rombo.tools to get better and better. We'd love to share more for mutual benefit. MaxT you are welcome to dig into more details in beta and via email

As the MRFM product designer, of course, now I want to make mila and MDL easier to use. This includes general component evolution as well as the UI. There have already been good ideas submitted, and gathering them all into a plan takes some work, but it is work I cherish. We need to be able to let people choose from ready-to-go libraries as well as make their own, and then make a clean way to share "user libraries". For mila, it was a choice when we had less control, to introduce just the elemental components at first, and then step-wise progress toward customizing and sharing a mila_material network. It is also related to converting mia to mila, and then mila to MDL.

As a point of correction, regular mila glossy uses Ashikhmin-Shirley anisotropic phong. We could add a Beckman that is similar to the one we supply in MDL, based on the same microfacet model as the GGX and one or two masking options, Smith/vcavities. We added GGX-Smith to mila for beta testing. The mia material used a combination of Ward's and not exactly the same for direct vs. indirect.

The progressive vs. non-progressive results are very interesting, as many of our standard tests show progressive a bit slower than non-progressive, which we expect due to per iteration overhead. Yet we have seen recent projects where progressive beat non-progressive. So this is in part scene choice, setup and settings dependent. But there may be the case where progressive is faster due to how the tiles are split up. Currently, the non-progressive overall render time may suffer if the tiles are large and the render time per tile is large. Adding in GI Next with or without GPU complicates the render time across different machines. The progressive render will adapt tile size toward the end of the render, as certain sections meet the quality criteria. So that may explain when progressive is faster than non-progressive, and why some people see different results. Again, as the product designer, I'd like to make the tile/task size choice not so critical to performance. And then we'd probably want to make progressive a default, if we could tighten up the reasons for different choices.

Addressing issues with IBL and glossy are definitely in our plans as well. And as you are aware in this discussion, they are related to the above issues, and will be part of the increase in ease-of-use.
    Barton Gawboy

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    We are currently making roadmap decisions, so this discussion is very helpful. Thank you ...

.. we want all material libraries including custom ones like rombo.tools to get better and better. We'd love to share more for mutual benefit. MaxT you are welcome to dig into more details in beta and via email.
    Ehy, - thank you Bart.

Ciao, max.

Got some time to play a bit more seriously with the new skin shader.

Everything is rombo.skin, eyes too I mean. Rombo.camera is at f16 1/80 ISO100, 110mm. At 2k took around 20mins on a dev machine.

Then I wanted to try to make a kind of portrait in noir (italian) style so eventually I went black&white.

The scene will be freely downloadable.

Ciao, max
    Last edited by maxt; May 6th, 2017 at 18:33.

Hello everyone,
    Yes i love this development.

Please i want to deviate a little.
    I am into archviz and i have been wondering where do i get archviz model templates for mental ray and maya. In the real production environment, clients cannot wait for works for too long there are very short deadlines thats why we use model templates like evermotion archmodels. If doing archviz in maya with rombo is going to be worthwhile there has to be some mental ray model templates. I love mental ray to the extent that i actually converted all vray archshader materials to arch and design materials.

What do you think about this or should i stick with 3dsmax and vray ?

Please i also want to see an exterior archviz rendering done with rombo tools. Since rombo tools for max is not ready i am presently learning maya and when i am through i will not need to wait for max.
    Thanks

should work, just use rombo shaders instead of the normal ones.

things like translucency are important and cutout, especially for evermotion stuff. but basically, it should work the same like mia.

Just to says that i'm looking into the ArchiViz example too.
    The tool look cool, but it would be nice to see performance on personnal machine, maybe with a trademarked scene ?

Your communication for Rombo tool is just perfect , this is what Nvidia should have donne month ago ! the blog, the scenes examples, the performances etc .. Bart, take Maxt in the Nvidia team ! and make MR great again !

I'm actualy looking into Redshift, because of the speed I can get vs MR. Realisme is not all the time needed for projects. But if I could get a hafl way solution, this would be nice.

Looking toward the developpement of your tool, and waiting for some feedback from others.

Does this qualify as 'archiviz' !? Sci-fi archiviz maybe

Just a simple test with some commercial models to test Sun&Sky new jittering implementation to avoid sky color banding. Sun is physically correct and comes embeded in the model and after being adaptively processed is returned as importance-based light together with the whole sky for easy one-click setups. For archiviz, by simply specifying date and hour together with lat/long, - one can do full daylight sims.

ciao, max
    Last edited by maxt; April 20th, 2017 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by maxt View Post
    Got some time to play a bit more seriously with the new skin shader.

Everything is rombo.skin, eyes too I mean. Rombo.camera is at f16 1/80 ISO100, 110mm. At 2k took around 20mins on a dev machine.
    How loaded is a "dev machine"? (I have a new-ish machine and am curious)
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by FeD
    Your communication for Rombo tool is just perfect , this is what Nvidia should have donne month ago ! the blog, the scenes examples, the performances etc .. Bart, take Maxt in the Nvidia team ! and make MR great again !
    THUMB UP
    I fully agree !!