Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feature requests and suggestions

Default Feature requests and suggestions

This is the place where you might place your input concerning Iray for Maya features.
    You may also discuss UI and workflow topics here.
    We collect all this put it into our feature list and try to make IFM as good as it can be

Have in mind that some limitations may not be on the Iray for Maya side, perhaps its Iray itself, so we have to put it in there first.
    We also have examples where Maya's architecture itself is the reason for a specific implementation.

I try to comment this as far as possible and give you feedback.

Default Suggested workflow for creating proper selection mattes?

I want R G B selection mattes without a lot of manual effort.

Is there a best practice for this?

I don't know enough about LPE to do this on my own yet. The only way I can think of is to build custom render layers with material overrides which seems inefficient.

I have a couple of possible custom MDL based solutions to this. I will explain more Monday when im back at work and have access to the files.

Hi leehenshall
    I moved your request into the right folder.
    You are looking for something like V-rays Multimatte, right? You will be happy to hear that we are working on that. Please be patient, we have to put it into Iray first- and then into the plugins.
    You may have that when the days get longer

That's great. Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to the next release.

I have posted quite a few requests of the last 6 months so I'll just quickly list a few:

I-Ray OpenGL as a production renderer as well as a viewport renderer. I'm assuming openGL could be raytraced using CPU rasterization like vRed does. Open GL would be great for previz/scene setup for rapid early stage look dev for animation shots as well as a good approximation for where you might use I-Ray with a laptop onset to test cameras.

I-Ray interactive and Photoreal as a viewport renderer but with an option to enable downscaleing when the camera is moving to provide more interactivity (you guys have a screencast of this that I provided during the beta feedback using vRed)

Cost Visualization/sample rate viewer - this could tie into the way I-Ray prioritizes samples?

Downscale option as a global render option for IPR in the render view.

The ability to render a displacement map on triangulated geometry mainly CAD data. When I noticed vRed could do this it blew my mind....it's really useful. When working at a design level in Automotive I often get tires with no tread (just a revolved tube shape) In the vRed material library there is a tire tread shader that creates very realistic thread patterns using a well setup displacement map. This is nothing new but the fact is can work on translated CAD is very useful and unique to vRed as far as I know. If this is implemented in I-Ray the vMaterials library could get very interesting from a design viz perspective. Another useful scenario for this would be creating grills and meshes that look 3d even though they are just flat planes. Take a look at this in vRed.....it would be interesting to see how they've done it....it looks like game displacement map or something.

Better Glow flare and glare lens effects. I really like Octane for this. These should always be split onto a separate pass for production rendering.

Geometry caching. The ability to cache animation and high density/object count data into a memory efficient container for rendering large very scenes. See v-Ray Proxy.

The MDL setup that rossh setup to allow lights to be made invisible to camera should be consolidated into an optimized uber light node. This would cover most usage scenarios for studio lighting. It would not be textured geometry but an actual light gizmo that can be switched between plane/sphere/disc/spot. There would be an option to input a texture as well as toggle its ray visibility. It would work with the T key hotkey to toggle a temporary handle pivot setup as well as work properly with look through selected. When adjusting attributes such as the spot light cone angle the viewport helper would have visible barn doors to illustrate the changes.

Hypershade material viewer support as well as live swatches.

Support for look dev nodes.

Blended box mapping.

Material conversion tool.

Section planes.

Render booleans and rounded corners for intersecting meshes.

I-Ray shelf and Menus.

Bifrost particle & xGen rendering?
    Last edited by leehenshall; April 19th, 2016 at 11:47.

could you give me more details on "Support for look dev nodes."

Sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VogxiBjTHE

They are basically nodes to do colour corrections on textures etc mainly to do changes procedural or to avoid jumping into Photoshop.

The HSV node is supported I believe but is older and less useful compared to these new nodes recently released.

Thanks.
    Got it.
    Yeah the HSV node is supported since the developer resides in in Hamburg