Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Iray for Rhino Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ruediger View Post
    Audio gear always looks awesome... But that is me being a musician as well, so I guess that's the fetish we are having when it comes to this kind of gear.

For rendering, I always recommend putting some interesting large area lights at various positions and see how each single light source adds up to the global result. Just putting a light source to the left of the keyboard creates (in my opinion) already some very interesting shading. The ideas is always to have some fill-light and some additional lights for showing reflections for example.

I try to improve myself especially when it comes to lighting - godd lighting is the key to a good rendering, that's something that I learn again each day. So I think experimenting is always a good idea.

If I may give (constructive) feedback to the console rendering:
    * Sometimes reducing the intensity of colors makes materials look more real. Going to the extremes with colors is always something that should be done with caution.
    * Experiment with the lighting, you could try to use some fill lights from the sides.
    * When you have plastic materials go for the microstructured bump (download the automotive catalog, it comes with a procedural one). that additionally adds to the realism of material when you do closeups.
    * Take the time to do apply fillets at corners, that always improves the look.

And of course keep doing what you are doing, you will get better by looking at renders of other artists that you like and trying to get your images better and better.

Best Regards,
    Rüdiger
    Man I really appreciate your feedback. ! thanks for the Tips.

I have some new ideas in mind, I hope to improve every day my job and I will update the gallery with the best of my results.

best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by ruediger View Post
    * Take the time to do apply fillets at corners, that always improves the look.
    ...and experiment with the new implementation of Rhino's edge softening within Iray. This feature is essential for realism, especially on smaller objects. I used to spend a lot of time filleting edges, particularly smaller fillets to reduce the sharpness of square edges, etc. With edge softening, I save a huge amount of time! Thanks to the iray team for getting around to that task.

I have the Novation KS-Rack at home, and for a long time I have been meaning to get around to modelling it in Rhino, just because it's a great bit of design and does wonders for one's Rhino skills to model real-life existing objects, not to mention the benefit of trying to replicate materials by eye realistically in iray. Great practice and also great fun if you love what you are modelling. Thanks for the music gear guys. Very inspiring. I am currently working on a 2U rack mount (something) which I want to look dirty, rusty and oxidised. The oxidised and the water-stained aluminium materials in the design catalogue gave me the idea, as an anti-dote to the new and shiny. Watch this space.

The Edge Softening surely is something very useful that I did not mention, good you pointed that out. BTW, that gave me the idea for another tutorial video for Iray for Rhino that I uplodad here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL4VNQLTb0Q (there is also a link to download the Rhino model)
    It shows various techniques like the edge softening, using procedural noise to create microstructure on materials and how to create good looking anisotropic metal discs...

Warmacre, you made me curious, I am now really looking forward to your renderings.

All the best,
    Rüdiger

Thank you for your curiosity Rüdiger. I feel a lot more motivated now (if a little under-pressure).

It's a bit frustrating at the moment because I'm rendering on my laptop (CPU only), so progress is slow. I can't wait to get back home and churn out some renders on my PC.

Anyhow, here is a little teaser/preview.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_edit.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	9476

The textures still need a bit of work, particularly the rusty parts. The above material uses a surface blender (black metal and rusted steel) with added displacement and bump-mapping using Perlin noise for both. The rust isn't as rough and bumpy as I would like, but I'm fairly happy with displacement parts of the screw where the rust has eaten away the metal.

Hopefully I will get more time to work on this.

This is an old shot I did with the beta version.

Name:	switchblade metallic.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	810.3 KB 
ID:	9744

@warmacre: These are some good real-looking screws, nothing I would expect from a Rhino user, where people are typically designing brand-new products For me it is always that worn look though that I like when I see a rendering. Rendering a clean surface is not a big deal nowadays, but making something look worn in a nice way is much more of an effort.

@jcarruthers: Some (hopefully constructive) feedback: Fhere is something in this render, that makes the vehicle stand out in a bit of an unrealistic way. In my point of view the reflections look too bright given the environment the vehicle is in, everything could be turned down a bit more. Also I think the flakes in the metallic paint material are a bit too big, you could try sclaing them down a bit more. Sometimes applying a little bit of depth of field helps to increase the realsim. My two (or three) cents
    Keep up the good work!

Name:	DOF ring.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	409.1 KB 
ID:	9899

Fast and clean...