Thread: Assemblies (Proxies) Error 781109 Access violation

Default Assemblies (Proxies) Error 781109 Access violation

Hello there;

I am rendering a scene with lots of mental ray proxies. It is a MASH network with, I recall, 4000 instanced polycubes referencing proxies.
    In some cases, the render doesn't even start and throws an error number 781109 saying that have been an "access voilation".
    I know Mental Ray proxies are sometimes unstable, but I need this to be rendered.

Any ideas?.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for reporting this. Using the assemblies/proxies is an area we definitely want to clean up to make easier.

Any chance to get a reproducible scene example?

Would like to get a list of what situations cause the instabilities as well.

[And I renamed the thread to help us track this category.]
    Last edited by bart; July 15th, 2016 at 19:03.
    Barton Gawboy

Thank you for the renaming of the thread and help.

In the end I end up throwing the proxy solution to the trash bin and go back to the instancer solution with MASH. It eats lots of memory but it rendered just fine. Is not the perfect solution for me since with instancer I don't have access to vertex coloring information, but since I needed it rendered, I passed of that feature this time.

So, are you working on better proxy workflow/stability for newer versions?. I like so much the proxy feature, but I always end up not using it for memory consumption reasons.

BTW my render was a 360 degree animation, so in that case I can't use visibility frutrum trics or anything like that. In 360 degree rendering EVERYTHING is seen! OMG.

The proxies though weren't super high resolutionm the top most one had 200k polys. But I don't know if it is a MASH problem or a Mental Ray problem.

Possible to get us a scene? It will help considerably if we can reproduce your issue.
    Barton Gawboy

I'm sorry I can't do that for DNA contracts, you know.
    I finally rendered the scene with an online renderfarm and, even they had memmory issues.

This issue is related to my earlier post on SSS effect on 360ยบ rendering and found that the physical SSS in fact rendered well (multiplying by 5 the rendertimes of course). I guess, the memmory problems might come frmo the SSS physical node, since it is very heavy in terms of rendertime.

ahh it is related to rendering in 360 and the mila sss having front/back screen space. That is a big clue.
    The physical sss has long compute but not necessarily memory issue. Should still track down what that is.

Could you construct a representative scene of how you set up the assemblies/proxies, and I can make the necessary changes to make large numbers?
    For example, two instanced polyCubes with an assembly, and I'll instance the 1000s.
    Barton Gawboy

I'll try to do it when I have some free time, not for now, sorry.

The wierd thing is that I needed to restart MAYA many times because for some reason, the try and error renders I were doing in the viewport, started at reasonable rendertimes but they started to boost again and again until the scene literaly explodes and throw memory errors (it would be great if the memory could be flushed away inside MAYA instead of need a restart).

That sounds like a memory leak bug that needs to be found and fixed.
    Barton Gawboy