Thread: Distributed Rendering - MR for 3dsmax 2017

Default Distributed Rendering - MR for 3dsmax 2017

Hello, I am writing to ask if DR is supported for the "indirect diffuse" GI method in the latest version of 3ds Max 2017? I've been experiencing some brightness differences in buckets utilizing this method, and I can't seem to find a lot of information on it in the documentation.

Thank you for any light you can shed, pun intended.

Best Regards,
    AJD

As noted toward the end of the GPU accelerated GI Next thread, there is an issue with getting the GPUs to work with the satellites. It is due in part to how Windows services work. In that thread someone posted an Area workaround, in addition to our info and suggestions. We are considering all options.

There should be no brightness differences, and that could be considered separate as a bug, but perhaps related.
    Barton Gawboy

Hi,
    I've rendered a test via DBR with GI Next GPU turned off. (Because my satellite has no proper GPU...) The satellite returned an error (GPU 4.48 144 MB error 871004: GI Next not available. (No gpu render plugin gi_next_plugin.)) and rendered the file without GI at all.
    mr_ginext_dbr_nogpu.jpg

Kind regards, Arne

Do you mean GI Next turned off? Or GI Next is on, but the GPU turned off?

If a satellite has no GPU, it should still be able to render the same with its CPU. But it is about setting up the installation on the satellite that causes issue.
    Barton Gawboy

GI next turned on with GPU turned off.

OK, thanks. Note that still requires the proper installation on the satellites. I assume the satellites are windows, and the satellite service needs to be manually started for the gi next to work correctly. Will also dig into whether something we discovered since your version is related.
    Barton Gawboy