Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MR satellite cannot render Color Managed scene...

Unhappy MR satellite cannot render Color Managed scene...

I went on and on about this at the Maya forums. I never though to come over here.

So, is there a way to use MR Satellite and the new Color Management feature in Maya? I get wrong render tiles from the slave machines (errors as well). I can include those errors if necessary, but I'll have to re-produce it. This happened on a job months ago and still bothers me...

What version of Maya? We were just talking about this issue and how to proceed with issues of ensuring the distributed servers have the correct Maya dlls.

I assume that you are using syncolor and it depends on opencolorio and you need to be able to load the appropriate modules for both on the satellites?
    Barton Gawboy

This problem occurred using 2016 SP5 (and SP6, I think).

The errors referred to syncolor, from what I remember. I'm just pushing buttons for the most part. I know a little about dll's and I think I even tried copying certain files to the satellite computers, but no luck.

Ahh, so you did see syncolor errors.

This dll changes frequently, so we really need to communicate a process that helps us track that the syncolor version copied matches what is expected on the satellites.
    It also depends on the opencolorio dll, as far as I understand, so the two have to be matched as well.

We need to develop a comprehensive approach for this, which may include scripts and documentation.
    Barton Gawboy

Hello. I've also had problems w/ using Mental Ray over our network. Here's an example of my problem:

colorIssues01.jpg

I'm using Maya 16 Ext 2, and have the appropriate version of MR Satellite on both of my render farm servers. Is there an update to Satellite that will fix this, or something else I can do? My current work around is to run each texture through gamma correction node set at .455 .455 .455 ONLY when rendering using the farm. This isn't a great solution for me.

Thanks,
    JB

Are you seeing messages reported about missing syncolor on the satellites?
    Barton Gawboy

Thanks for the quick response, and yes, I get a whole list of them like this. I'm not familiar with what this means.

SHDR 1.16 117 MB error: ColorTransformCache::initTransform: The requested SynColor transform id is not in the cache: NativeInputTpl_Raw_scenelinearRec709sRGB_FORWARD
    SHDR 1.23 117 MB error: ColorTransformCache::initTransform: The requested SynColor transform id is not in the cache: NativeInputTpl_sRGB_scenelinearRec709sRGB_FORWARD
    SHDR 1.7 117 MB error: ColorTransformCache::initTransform: The requested SynColor transform id is not in the cache: NativeInputTpl_Raw_scenelinearRec709sRGB_FORWARD
    and so on....

We know of some issues that we are trying to resolve, but this looks a bit different. Could we have this scene the way you have set it up? Also, the Color Management may have information stored in your preferences. So we'd need to double check that, if we can't reproduce.
    Barton Gawboy

Sure thing. This error is from a different scene than the example image I posted above, but the errors look the same. I'll share the scene from the example above because it is much less complicated.

MRLighting1.mb.zip

Thank you very much for the scene. So it appears that the transform needed is not communicated in the mental ray data to the satellites. This does seem similar to an issue we were tracking down previously. It is not written to an mi file either if one exports it.
    Barton Gawboy