Thread: wet material with MILA

Default wet material with MILA

Hi guys,
    I am trying to make a material looking wet. With my lights setting the MIA material applied to the object without any change worked well. The effect was exactly what I was looking for.

Since I wanted to render passes, after struggling behind summoned legacy pass settings which did not work, at least I was not able to make them working, I decided to move to MILA. OK I am not able to reproduce the same wet effect on my object.

I used a diffuse base with my image file applied to the color. I've added a specular reflective layer. Any combination of their settings did not make the wet effect.

Could you give me any hints?

Thanks

you want wet on a diffuse or wet on a reflective base? What were your mia settings? Mila can do even more than mia.
    Barton Gawboy

Hi Bart,
    thanks for answering.

I don't know if it is better the diffuse or the reflective as a base. I based on this:
    http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educat..._materials.htm
    that says that "the main two features of a wet surface vs a dry surface is a darker color and a strong specular highlight".

Maybe a diffuse with strong specularity in top? But I don't know how to reproduce this with MILA.

Here the result with MIA:
    MIA-WET_1_test.jpg

Here the parameters I've changed (randomly!!)
    config-params.png

Here the nodes:
    nodes.png

I'm sure MILA can do even better. Can you help me reproduce this effect or better?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a glossy over a diffuse in mia, where the glossy uses white reflection color. I don't see how you have set up the directional-dependent weighting, which is called the BRDF I think in the section of the AE. Do you use ior with fresnel, or a custom curve (not fresnel)?

In mila, use a diffuse base component, and use the same texture you put into the top Color slot of the mia material.

Then add either a fresnel_layer or a custom_layer with glossy reflection. This depends on the BRDF you chose with the mia, if you want to match it.
    Otherwise, I would choose a fresnel_layer with an IOR of around 1.4 (1.33 is the actual IOR of water). And then it appears that is also weighted, which multiplies by the directional factor, so I'd set the weight of the fresnel_layer down to about 0.3 (0.252 to exactly match the mia).

I'd use a roughness around 0.3 or so for the glossy reflection, depending on how shiny you wanted it as well. The color/tint of the glossy reflection would be white.
    Barton Gawboy

Hi Bart,
    thank you for your indication,
    I've followed your suggestions and obtained the attached render.

zebrafish.jpg

An important component was the bump that I've applied on the glossy reflection layer also. This definitely did the trick, since it made the dimple effect.
    The only edit I had to make to your settings was the IOR, which I had to raise until around 2.

A stupid question follows and sorry for that: Why can I set the IOR in the reflective layer? Shouldn't I set it in any trasmissive layer?

What do you mean for: "And then it appears that is also weighted, which multiplies by the directional factor, so I'd set the weight of the fresnel_layer down to about 0.3 (0.252 to exactly match the mia)." What's the directional factor you are referring to? What multiples to what?

Thanks