Thread: Maya 2016 ext 2 render passes exclusive to mental ray shaders?

Default Maya 2016 ext 2 render passes exclusive to mental ray shaders?

So I have some very basic legacy scenes (maya 2015 and older) with maya blinns and lamberts and they detail basic lighting and compositing. Nothing too complex and these are used as tutorials for new maya users. Well when I render in mental ray using the new mila render pass system I get no lighting information when using any maya shader (blinn, lambert, phong, ext). When I set up the scenes using mila shaders or other mental ray shaders my lighting shows up in the render passes (diffuse, spec, indirect, etc). Is this new render system only for mental ray shaders? If I roll back the render system to legacy I can get the lighting info in my render passes using maya shaders. Just wanted to know if I'm missing something. Thanks as always to anyone who can answer this for me.

As far as I know the new passes system works only with Mila material. It doesn't work with maya materials or the Mental Ray Mia materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Marti View Post
    As far as I know the new passes system works only with Mila material. It doesn't work with maya materials or the Mental Ray Mia materials.

Thanks for the info Marti!! So I guess if anyone wants to use render passes with maya shaders or any shader that isn't Mila they would need to revert back to the legacy render passes right?

Yes as far as I know that is the only option if you don't use the Mila Material.

Quote Originally Posted by Marti View Post
    Yes as far as I know that is the only option if you don't use the Mila Material.
    Marti, you've been a great help!!! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

BTW, the direction we are going is for simpler to setup passes. We will eventually make the pass system work with both mila and MDL, the modern direction we want folks to go with materials. Also, we will be making conversion scripts from mia to mila and MDL. They won't be exact because of slight differences in shading models, for example non-physical tricks in mia, but they should do well for most scenes.

Then, the passes will eventually be hooked up to Light Path Expressions (LPE). We already give the LPE in the tooltip over the name of the passes.
    Barton Gawboy