Thread: Apparent spatial displacement of 3D data set when applying the IndeX Plugin

Default Apparent spatial displacement of 3D data set when applying the IndeX Plugin

Hello All,
    I tried to visualize a global atmospheric data set in NetCDF format with the Index plugin for ParaView 5.1 (Linux, single workstation, free version) but the resulting representation appears to be shifted and scaled spatially and also "skipping" a large part of the data.

I attached below two screencaps - one showing the original outline box of the data set, and the visualization with IndeX;
    the second is a slice through the data set in order to illustrate the representation difference.

I then tried a simple test, I exported a Wavelet source from ParaView to a .vtk file, then tried to visualize it with the IndeX here also a spatial displacement was apparent - I attached a screencap with this as well.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation and could help shed some light? Also, would it be possible that NVidia makes available NetCDF sample data for the geosciences community?

Cheers,
    Felicia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atmos.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	311.0 KB 
ID:	8409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atmos_slice.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	8410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wavelet_vtk.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	330.6 KB 
ID:	8411

Hi Felicia,

Thanks for reporting this, there seems to be a transformation issue. Can you please confirm if the wavelet source by default works as expected? (I.e, without export/importing from a file)

We will look into this and come back to you.

Regards,
    Mahendra

Hi Mahendra and thanks for your reply,
    Yes, the wavelet source simply added to the pipeline works as expected.

Best,
    Felicia

Name:	Wavelet_indeX.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	8431

Hi Felicia,

This has been fixed in the NVIDIA IndeX for ParaView plugin version 1.1, please download the new version and let us know if it works for you.

Regards,
    Mahendra

Hi Mahendra,
    Many thanks for getting back - I tried a few tests in the past weeks, and also did a test today. The transformation issue is no longer present and everything works as expected from this point of view.

So far I managed however to view only data in VTK format with the IndeX - for data in NetCDF format I got either artefacts (for regular grid, opened with the NetCDF reader) or the data became not visible (for unstructured grids, I tried here an ICON dataset, opened it with the CDI Reader).
    I attached screencaps for both cases.

For the regular grid, there was no error message, while for the unstructured there was an "INDEX init error: nv_index_factory() can only be called once." message.

Could you please advise? Or did any of the other users encounter this and could help with some ideas?

Thanks and regards,
    Felicia

Name:	nic_index.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	8799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nic_surf.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	8800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icon_index.jpg 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	8801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icon_surf.jpg 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	8802

Hi Felicia,

Good to know that the transformation problem is fixed.

W.r.t NetCDF/ICON data, would it be possible for you to share the dataset? We can take a look on our side and see what exactly is going wrong.

Regards,
    Mahendra

Hi Mahendra,
    I uploaded the two files on our public ftp site: Please note the files are automatically deleted after 14 days.

Let me please know if the download doesn't work, so I'll look for an alternative.

Much appreciated,
    Felicia
    Last edited by feliciamb; March 27th, 2017 at 10:03.

Thanks Felicia, I was able to download both the datasets. I will get back to you once we figure out what exactly is going on.

It would be awesome if you could upload the ParaView state file when this issue happens as well.

Hi Mahendra,
    I uploaded the two state files in the same folder.
    Best,
    Felicia

Thanks, downloaded.