Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iray+ Materials

Default caustics and glass

I had a go but couldnt reproduce the turning grey with caustics issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAUSTICS.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	8563
    No Caustic sampler

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no_caustics.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	8564
    Caustic sampler

Quote Originally Posted by ferenczlorandka View Post
    What about the gray glass when I use caustics?
    What version of the plugin are you running? Can you send a simple example scene that reproduces the problem?

There was an issue fixed in the beta where some scenes produced dark artifacts in transparent objects. Can you try the same scene in Iray for 3ds Max 1.3 beta?

i pretty much am in line with everyone else's feedback. it is a good material to use and i like it.

feedback: as per my other post, animating values within the iray+ material. another thought i had was that there are a few parameters that are not accessible unless you change the template in the drop-down. for example no translucency unless you pick translucent paper etc...

On the topic of animating values within iray+ material - would you want ability to animate all values (where it makes sense) or would animated maps work for you?
    It would be really useful if you could give me some example use cases for material animation ie what you want to do and how you expect to be able to do it.

The template concept with materials does err more towards usability and less toward flexibility, that said it *may* be possible to create more flexible and generic templates that can be combined as they are now. Im interested in what parameters you feel are missing off the existing templates.

all values where it makes sense - for example you could change the color of a material, but that might get into the whole 3ds max color picker thing and i'm not sure if you guys integrate that deeply other than just picking a color.

another thing i just attempted was to animate the iray+ perlin noise phase so i could have a slight movement of water on a swimming pool, but obviously that could apply to oceans, fountains etc... so this would be the maps.

transparency animation, reflection amount (less to more reflection for example)

emission temperature, intensity.

in the ocean shader, animating volume distance might be able to help simulate water settling down, or becoming more clear...

as far as the template concept, ha, i noticed another tiny little thing that isn't a big deal, but i'm so used to hitting shortcut keys i noticed it didn't work - that is, i clicked the drop-down list under the iray+ material and wanted to select "glass" so i hit "g" key on my keyboard thinking it might take me down to the g's in the drop-down list, it didn't. ha! like i said not a huge deal breaker or anything

a water material is a big deal for me at least. i'd love to be able to see caustics through the water, as opposed to having to be under the surface to see them, (on the bottom of a pool), love to be able to animate a little movement - well like the mentalray a&d water. thanks.