Thread: Camera clip with mray for 3dsmax 2015

Default Camera clip with mray for 3dsmax 2015

Hi all. I am in the middle of what seems to be the biggest mystery of all times: How to render a totally normal scene using camera manual clipping while rendering with mray for 3dsmax. It turns out mray screws up with skyportals, but I've also noticed problems with cutout maps on a material. Is there a way to use mray effectively while using camera clipping? Camera clipping is a key feature, I do interior renders, cameras should be 50 mm which take you out of the room, without clipping I can't resolve this problem. (no, the slice modifier isn't the answer, I don't want to cut geometry or do anything I wouldn't have to do if clipping worked as it should.) No hiding to camera, no "renderable" or "invisible to camera" are going to make it. I just plainly would like someone to tell me officially if mray supports camera clipping or not. It's that simple and yet in 3 days researching and testing I only find answers to this from 2011 that talk about activating scanline on a rendering algorithm tab that no longer exists. I'd like to know if mray supports camera clipping. Thanks for your help.

I think rather than just complaining I'll share what I found out. So, at least in 3dsmax 2015, Mental Ray does not support manual clipping of cameras with the default Sampling mode (Unified / Raytraced). It seems like you have to choose Rasterizer / Scanline from the drop down menu (Renderer / Sampling Quality / Sampling Mode / drop down and choose Rasterizer/Scanline). Only then Skyportals are rendered correctly, manual camera clipping is respected and no issues with cutout maps.
    So same goes for iray in 3dsmax 2015, only in this case you can do nothing because you can't activate scanline. I understand in 3dsmax 2016 iray comes with a section plane feature that actually also clips shadows. But my question still is, I guess, how come Unified / raytraced Sampling mode is recommended when it doesn't support manual clipping? Is there a way to use manual clipping with iray and / or mental Ray unified / Raytraced Sampling mode in 3dsmax 2015?

I understand some people are using slice modifiers. I don't want to for 2 reasons, one, it's a mess to control all the objects you apply that modifier to, second, I don't want to render the interior of a sliced model, because light isn't realistic at all even if the cut plane can't be seen. Also, all this issues with visible to camera or not visible to camera, renderable or not renderable options, etc, don't produce realistic results either (not renderable means much more than hidden). So how are people out there doing this in 3dsmax 2015? Thanks all.

Is it 3ds max 2015 that allows you to use MAXSCRIPT to use mr string options?

Try using "trace camera clip" on, if you know how to use mr string options.

We will double check the defaults as well.
    Barton Gawboy