Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mental Ray resources

Default Mental Ray resources

Since Autodesk Maya ditched their primary renderer as Mental Ray, where are mental ray users supposed to get nice video tutorials in the future?

I have been using Mental Ray for the last 12 years and to learn new features and improve my skills I always resorted to ressources like gnomon workshop, digital tutors and autodesk videos. It's clear that after the ditch, all of those resources are also following the trend by not producing high quality mentaly ray videos.

I would like to know what's Nvidia's vision for the the future and how are you willing to "evolve mental ray even more"?

Hi Royter,

Fair point, we have been slow getting out new tutorials and posting videos. We are working on this now. We hope to have at least some
    brief videos up showing the newer mental ray features in the next few weeks.

We have been busy developing the mental ray plugins and getting ready for our next releases. Once this settles down a bit expect to
    see more material from us. We also have been engaging heavily with schools to get mental ray for Maya into their curricula.

Watch this space, we'll have more soon.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pdelappe View Post
    Hi Royter,

Fair point, we have been slow getting out new tutorials and posting videos. We are working on this now. We hope to have at least some
    brief videos up showing the newer mental ray features in the next few weeks.

We have been busy developing the mental ray plugins and getting ready for our next releases. Once this settles down a bit expect to
    see more material from us. We also have been engaging heavily with schools to get mental ray for Maya into their curricula.

Watch this space, we'll have more soon.

Peter
    Where do I except to see those videos?

Why do you guys always focus on schools instead of studios? I think this is the wrong approach even if a graduate spent 3 years learning MR, when he will work in the industry he will have to work with renderman, arnold or Vray.
    I live in Montreal where you have the top notch VFX and games studios in the world (EA, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Warner Brother, Framestore, MPC, RodeoFX..) and I know alot of other small and medium studios, none of them use mental ray.

Would also like to know what are you guys planning to do, to get more people and studios use MR specially after the big Arnold blow from Autodesk? Or are you just accepting this fact and live with it as one of the last renderer in the industry?

True,
    it could be nice to get some communication. It is very a confusing communication from Nvidia, no one understand what's thiere plans.

No real new big features, (Gi-next is not finished), slower renders, and limited (poly limit and proxies/instances for example).

I'm sure Nvidia could make cool things, but maybe everything is still in beta ?

Why was this post moved from "NVIDIA mental ray for Maya" to the "Legacy by Application"????

Are you guys trying to silence me out because you don't like the questions that I raise?
    Did you move the post here so that less people will see it?
    Is this how you treat your old time users?

Quote Originally Posted by royter View Post
    Why was this post moved from "NVIDIA mental ray for Maya" to the "Legacy by Application"????

Are you guys trying to silence me out because you don't like the questions that I raise?
    Did you move the post here so that less people will see it?
    Is this how you treat your old time users?
    ????

What are you talking about? I see your post under "NVIDIA mental ray for Maya". Maybe it's in both places?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilDave View Post
    ????

What are you talking about? I see your post under "NVIDIA mental ray for Maya". Maybe it's in both places?
    It was removed from "NVIDIA mental ray for Maya" 2 says ago and then put again there today.
    Still no answers for my question though.

Quote Originally Posted by royter View Post
    It was removed from "NVIDIA mental ray for Maya" 2 says ago and then put again there today.
    Still no answers for my question though.
    Ahhh. That stinks.

I agree with the lack of Nvidia stamped tutorial videos...though the in-depth coverage that Autodesk EVER gave to MR was scant at best...especially when compared to what the user community had to offer. Complicating matters was the update releases that were at the mercy of Autodesk. Nvidia did have a webinar for MRFM at the beginning of February...I can't seem to find a link (If it was recorded) EDIT: anyone interested: below is a link to the webinar. You just have to register to see the video - this was from another post in this section of the forum:

http://info.nvidia.com/mental-ray-fo...inar-2017.html

My hope is that now the MR guys are free from the constraints from before - they will grow the community in a way not possible before. With just this past release, we have native viewport rendering. Arnold, while it seems like a good renderer - I like what I get from MR and I know it. Also, the cost of production licensing is quite a value when compared to others.

This new setup was a hiccup for sure, but I think things are on the up swing - especially once Nvidia realizes that the community needs more official support in the way of training - not just schools.
    Last edited by SunDevilDave; March 26th, 2017 at 22:27.

[mod: there was a typo in the title, as "resources" was misspelled, which was corrected. Then is when it probably switched forums by mistake.]

As Peter mentions above, we are working on tutorials and videos now. And as Dave notes, we are free to do more now. Would love more community teamwork to get more momentum. As noted in different threads, we are putting together roadmaps, so the community input is valuable.

As we aim mental ray at M&E, studios are important to us. Visiting Montreal could be a great idea, if we could round up enough folks to communicate with there.
    Barton Gawboy

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilDave View Post
    Ahhh. That stinks.

I agree with the lack of Nvidia stamped tutorial videos...though the in-depth coverage that Autodesk EVER gave to MR was scant at best...especially when compared to what the user community had to offer. Complicating matters was the update releases that were at the mercy of Autodesk. Nvidia did have a webinar for MRFM at the beginning of February...I can't seem to find a link (If it was recorded) EDIT: anyone interested: below is a link to the webinar. You just have to register to see the video - this was from another post in this section of the forum:

http://info.nvidia.com/mental-ray-fo...inar-2017.html

My hope is that now the MR guys are free from the constraints from before - they will grow the community in a way not possible before. With just this past release, we have native viewport rendering. Arnold, while it seems like a good renderer - I like what I get from MR and I know it. Also, the cost of production licensing is quite a value when compared to others.

This new setup was a hiccup for sure, but I think things are on the up swing - especially once Nvidia realizes that the community needs more official support in the way of training - not just schools.
    Don't think this kind of bad quality video is even close to what users from Arnold or Vray get. All main high quality resources like digital tutors, gnomon workshop, Linda, there'all switching to Arnold Maya when it comes to ressources about rendering in Maya.

Consider new Maya users, why on earth would they choose a plugin renderer like MR? Why not choose Vray or Renderman? I think throughout the years people just used MR because it simply came with Maya, this was the main reason. Mental Images back then and Nvidia later on just slept on their laurels because they had a secure market, blaming it all on Autodesk was never an argument to me, the integration, development and the communication was a fail compared to what other renderers were doing.

I really don't see enthusiasm neither momentum neither clear vision from the MR development team even today (0 sense of urgency), I really don't see why I shouldn't just ditch MR like all the others and go with Arnold, I think that will make my life easier with the same quality renders.