Thread: Mental Ray 3.14 Standalone and Houdini 16

Default Mental Ray 3.14 Standalone and Houdini 16

Hi. Does anyone have experience with using Mental Ray + Houdini in the current decade?

I was wondering if there is any interest on NVIDIA's part in supporting and encouraging a Mental Ray 3.14 Standalone for Houdini workflow. I think the 3D DCC software market has had a lot of changes since 2006-2010 when the Houdini forum section on the NVIDIA ARC site last had user discussions going on.

I haven't had a chance to look into it yet but was wondering if the ancient Mental Ray support in Houdini would work with Houdini Indie's new 3rd party rendering feature?

The reason is that I think there would be new interest from long time users in seeing Mental Ray exist outside of the typical Autodesk Maya, 3ds Max, (and former Softimage) universes.

On the Houdini Indie side of things external renderer support was unlocked back in Houdini 15.5 on May 2016 so that fact combined with every commercial user of Mental Ray for Maya now has a licensed copy of MR standalone on their systems too could help to increase the number of users who could take advantage of this combination.

We need to know the community interest in this.
    Barton Gawboy