Thread: How to add grunge maps or bump maps to MDL materials

Default How to add grunge maps or bump maps to MDL materials

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to use bump maps and grunge maps. It should be via the core expressions , right ?
    I can't seem to figure out how though.
    any input would be great

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Krkk View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to use bump maps and grunge maps. It should be via the core expressions , right ?
    The MDL core definitions, yes, which provide easy-to-use "layer" effects, like "add bump" or "add dust".
    So you can take any existing vMaterial or other beauty MDL you may find, and add a "dust" or "rust" layer on top.

Here is an example.
    I started with the "brushed metal" from the "nvidia > vMaterials > Design > Metal" section of the MDL tree, and
    then applied a "add a cover of dust" from "nvidia > core_definitions".

It is important that you stack the materials not the Cinema way, but by placing the underlying material into the "base material" slot of the upper layer.
    Then assign the upper layer material to your object. That's it!
    See the screenshot.

BTW, we are working on a much smoother workflow for "MDL layering" similar to Cinema's.

Best, Steffen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iray for Cinema 4D - Rusty Metal MDL 1 small.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	9259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iray for Cinema 4D - Rusty Metal MDL 2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	9258
    Last edited by steve; April 25th, 2017 at 19:33.

great !
    that was just what I was looking for !

so after trying everything out a bit I still have a few questions.

is there a way to rotate the grunge map inside cinema ?
    is there way to further increase the intesity of a map inside the software ?
    I can use the "dust amount" but only from 0 - 1, but I feel like I could use some more drastic effects.
    the same can be said for the bump channel inside the "cover of dust" If I just put the same map inside I can't really see anything happening even when I crank up the numbers.
    is the something wrong with my input or is the effect very subtle ?

first up , sorry for triple posting.

regarding scaling, apparently I can use the normal c4d texture tag even with iray materials.

but I may have found a bug.
    when I apply a grungemap to a paint material and then add a clearcoat via a core expression ontop of the grunge map, there's maybe a 30% chance after every action i take inside the clearcoat material , that the material stack colapses and I am left with the clearcoat ontop of the base paint material. the only way to fix it is to strg+z back to the point where I applied the clear coat.

this means in order to fine tune my clearcoat I have to make adjustments before I aply it.

also a minor incovnenience (that may not even be a bug), when working with a base material and a cover of dust ontop, I have to refeed the base material into the cover of dust whenever I update it.

Lightbulb Bump effect using bitmap texture MDL function

Quote Originally Posted by Krkk View Post
    ...bump channel inside the "cover of dust" If I just put the same map inside I can't really see anything happening even when I crank up the numbers.
    To control the bump effect, you should not directly attach an image to the "bump" slot, but rather go through a "MDL Shader" and then select "nvidia>core_definitions>bitmap texture" with the gray-scale bump symbol next to it. This will allow you to choose a "bump strength", and also how to determine the b/w data from the attached (color) texture, like from alpha channel, or from averaging the RGB data etc. See attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Texture Bump.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	913.7 KB 
ID:	9282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bump Strength 1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	262.9 KB 
ID:	9281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bump Strength 10.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	320.5 KB 
ID:	9280

so I feel like I figured out grungemaps and bumps.

but now I want to add stickers.

I thought it would work the same but somehow I can't figure out how to make it work.

I grab a "add simple sticker" core definition and put in the material I want to sticker on as my base material.
    then i open the sticker color and use a mdl shader set to bitmap texture , the colored one.
    I put in a sticker I made in indesign and exported as png.

but then nothing happens.

I hate to keep posting more questions but sadly there are no resources out there I could fall back on.

I figured out how to apply a bisc sticker but is there a way to position it independently from base texture ?
    apparently I can only move the whole texture but idealy I'd like to move the sticker around on top of texture.

I can use the normal c4d texture tag even with iray materials.
    Last edited by acheter; January 19th, 2018 at 20:22.