Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Access to the MDL SDK

Unhappy Access to the MDL SDK

I applied for the MDL SDK for more than three months ago.
    However, after more than three months, my application status is still : Waiting for approval
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.PNG   02.PNG   03.PNG  

Hi Liu Yuan,
    i appologize you got no answer on your application

the MDL SDK is currently only available to selected application developers and not to individuals. Your application suggests you want to use MDL materials as end users to create an animation, the MDL SDK would not help you there. The MDL SDK is a software library that can help you add support for MDL to an application, write an MDL aware renderer, but it still requires you to write such a renderer. it will not automatically get your content into a game or automatically generate a full GLSL shader from MDL.

If our impression is false, please contact me via PM and describe into more detail what you want to use the MDL SDK for.

Hi, I'm sorry to bother you.

First of all, as a computer graphics professional students, at the same time, also learn computer graphics technology development and application.

I used the MDL material in my work, and the effect of this material was great.

So, I would like to learn MDL material language, and then, through the C + + 11 programming language, write my own custom shader.

The study of this technology, for my future study and works of production is very helpful.

Therefore, I would like to qualify for access to the MDL SDK.

Thank you
    Last edited by LIU YUAN; May 1st, 2017 at 12:54.

Stepping in to clarify, in case this is a misunderstanding of how to create custom MDL.

A custom material in MDL does not require C++. MDL is its own language, and is compiled by the renderers that use it. You just provide the custom MDL material in its native language form. The rest is handled for you.

So it is not like a typical C++ shader which needs compiling to create a compiled shared object used by the program; this was on purpose to make it better for cross-platform use.

If you are interested in learning MDL for your own creation of materials, please see the MDL handbook as a start.
    Barton Gawboy

Perhaps another piece of information is to ask what your game engine is. In other words, what is the renderer that will be using the MDL?

Or is this for in-game cinematics?
    Barton Gawboy

I am using iray and mental ray renderers

I would like to qualify for access to the MDL SDKClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MDL SDK.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	9311

Hello, sorry to bother you.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I would like to learn MDL material language.

However, at the same time, in the program I wrote , I would like to join MDL material technology.

So, I would like to qualify for access to the MDL SDK.

Thank you

For learning MDL, its best to start with a renderer that already supports MDL, like VRAY, Mental Ray oder Iray. also Allegorithmic substance designer is a good start to familiarize yourself with the language and capabilities.
    At this point we do not have a non commercial licensing scheme for the MDL SDK. We are working on that and will give you further notice when we have one.
    cu
    Jan

Thank you very much! The

In addition, there is one thing, I did not find the folder to store MDL shader files, how to find it?