Thread: Mental Ray hair and fur renders white

Default Mental Ray hair and fur renders white

Hello all, I have tried out the new Nvidia Mental ray for 3ds Max 2018 and while it looks promising, I have a problem with it.

Mental Ray renders the hair and fur white, regardless of the settings that it is set at.

I have included the basic scene of a plane with hair, and a rendered image of the scene.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...mdBQS1HdDl3emc

(The Nvidia attachments manager said the .png file and the .max were invalid files, so I had to use Google drive.)

[mod: thanks for the file. For future reference you could zip it and attach for simple scenes.]
    Last edited by IsaacNorman; May 12th, 2017 at 00:41.

Thanks for the report (and sorry to hear that you're having problems.)

We'll grab your scene, reproduce the issue, and log it for engineering review ASAP. (We're at GTC, so responses are a little slower than usual this week.)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Thanks for the report (and sorry to hear that you're having problems.)

We'll grab your scene, reproduce the issue, and log it for engineering review ASAP. (We're at GTC, so responses are a little slower than usual this week.)

That's the same as 1920836.
    i7-6800K @ 3.40, 16GB RAM, NVidia GFX760 4GB, Windows 10 x64

I must ask, if this is addressed to the engineers, would I expect a Mental Ray update? (I'm new to all of this, so please do excuse me if I sound a bit naive.)
    Last edited by IsaacNorman; May 12th, 2017 at 00:40.

The solution will depend upon what the culprit is. We have to root cause the issue first.

Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure if it's anything worthwhile mentioning, but the hairs look quite different from previous Mental Ray releases. I'm not sure if that's Mental Ray's Hair & Fur engine with optimizations, or if that's part of the issue I'm having. (The follicles look drastically different from it's previous versions.)

To add to the situation, while the hair still renders white, just recently, 3ds Max's error log has popped up, and showed a long slew of errors within Mental Ray.

I'm not sure how significant this is, but I'll let you guys decide on that.

(I'm not talking about the atmospheric errors, but the "782007 MSLC:"errors.)
    Attached Images Attached Images