Thread: 3ds Max 2018 use 2.88 GB RAM after mr and vMaterials installation

Default 3ds Max 2018 use 2.88 GB RAM after mr and vMaterials installation

After mr and vMaterials installation start 3ds max - Task Manager tell me that 3ds Max 2018 use 2.88 GB RAM - it's normal?

Log tell me many many words like this

IMG 0.2 1720 MB progr: opening texture C:\Users\boris\Documents\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials\AEC \textures\glazing_etch_msk.png, for reading
    IMG 0.2 1721 MB progr: opening texture C:\Users\boris\Documents\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials\AEC \textures\sheercurtain_veins_pattern.png, for reading
    IMG 0.2 1726 MB progr: opening texture C:\Users\boris\Documents\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials\AEC \textures\sheercurtain_triangles_pattern.png, for reading
    IMG 0.2 1728 MB progr: opening texture C:\Users\boris\Documents\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials\AEC \textures\sheercurtain_swirl_pattern.png, for reading
    IMG 0.2 1728 MB progr: opening texture C:\Users\boris\Documents\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials\AEC \textures\sheercurtain_leaves_pattern.png, for reading

20 minutes later - after rendering material samples I have 6+GB RAM Used and Max crashed. (
    Last edited by Boris_K66; May 12th, 2017 at 15:56.

yes is the same for me... 3ds max 2018 with arnol use 625 Gb - after the installation with Mr use 2.938 Gb, if open the slate material and show the vmaterial other 2.5 Gb
    3ds max 2016 with Mr, iray, iray + use 950 Gb ....
    Yes is ok the vmaterial can show in the slate only with text for save ram, but is always 2.938 Gb for run 3ds max...
    Mmm... there are some that not work well...
    Best regards Mak21

Cattura.JPGCattura 2.JPG
    Last edited by mak21; May 12th, 2017 at 22:40.

No solution?

for a moment i unistall the vMaterial
    and 3ds max return work fast

Quote Originally Posted by Boris_K66 View Post
    No solution?
    Despite cranking out 2 releases in the past two weeks, we aren't really that fast. It will take us some time to nail down this memory issue.

As some users have discovered, the current short-term solution will be to move (or remove) vMaterials. You can do this by renaming your user MDL folder:
    %userprofile%/documents/mdlrprofile%/documents/mdl to mdl_save and restarting 3ds Max.

We are working on a permanent solution that better supports this rapidly growing library of materials.

for me the best solution is look like iray +, many material library to load, and not install on slate material editor by default, look like now.
    best regards.
    mak21