Thread: GI next with 360 lens shader artifacts

Default GI next with 360 lens shader artifacts

Hi,

I have some problems with GI next and 360 lens shader like wraparound or LatLong from Domemaster. Does not happen with fg.
    I have artifacts on corners. Increasing GI quality or bounces does not change anything. Physiscal camera or standard camera is the same. Changing type of light is the same.

GI next lens shader problem.jpg

I provide a mi file to see if you have the same problem. It is a shame as GI next is really nice and fast!

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any idea about that problem?

thanks

Could someone try to reproduce that problem or just tell me that you cannot render clean 360 images with GI next?

thanks

I know you might have more stuff to do with 3dsmax 2018 integration, but could someone give me an answer? For now I am unable to render 360 images/animation because of that problem.

thanks

Hi oli, this is really a question for our new section on the NVIDIA mental ray plugin for 3ds Max.
    Here in this "legacy" forum area we used to cover the previous plugin's distributed by Autodesk.

To your problem, GI Next should indeed respect your 360 render but you might have to increase the GI density a lot.

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. But I am using 3dsmax 2017 with MR 3.14.1.4 and not the version for 3dsmax 2018, that's why I posted here.
    If you read my first post, increasing GI quality and/or GI bounces does not change nothing... It looks like a wrong GI calculation with 360 lens shader...
    But I am not a developper, just a MR user.
    Could someone give it a try?

thanks

Hmm, I could not reproduce with latest mental ray plugin for Maya, see attached.
    Generally, the 360 lens shader should be respected by GI Next, and compute correctly outside the viewing frustum of the camera.

So perhaps your overall sampling quality is too low?

indoor_ginext_360_hq.jpg

Ok thanks for that, maybe 3dsmax 2017 is faulty... I tried to increase the sampling, GI quality, but nothing is working. Could someone test it with 3dsmax?
    I found something interesting : by moving the camera or rotating it the problem disappear, but it looks like completely random...
    Any help please.
    Last edited by oli; June 26th, 2017 at 12:21.