Thread: [BUG]: MentalRay 2018 3dsmax still can not render normal maps

Thumbs down [BUG]: MentalRay 2018 3dsmax still can not render normal maps

I just want to remind NVdia that they did not compile normal map support for their software. In the year 2017 we run a renderer with no tangent normal map output (ok, it renders something, but it is useless trash)

I don't know how to copy paste Code, here is the full bug Report.

https://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthr...alculationBug:

We have, driven by a blind hope and desire to engage again the MentalRay in our productions, run a simple Scene with a sphere (read the bug Report from the link) and rotated it in the screen. As you see, the rotation in the world space space causes mental ray to generate incorrect maps.

screenshot.215.png

best regards
    Igor Posavec
    3d-io
    Last edited by Igor_Posavec; May 22nd, 2017 at 13:37.

Igor, thanks for posting this in the new forum, since this exists in the NVIDIA Mental Ray for 3ds Max 2018.

I had posted a bit of followup in the other thread. I have confirmed that Maya and 3ds Max use different code for the tangent space normal calculations.

I have also created a simpler scene iwth your map on a plane, to show that it happens when the object itself is rotated a certain amount. As one can compare Scanline vs. Mental Ray in Active Shade for the same position. And if you keep Active Shade on, you can see somewhat where the normals seem to invert.

It is not obvious what is causing this, and we'll be getting more eyes on this internally, to track it down.
    Barton Gawboy

Hello Bart,

thank you for your swift feedback! I am glad my message has arrived, what you write (with ActiveShade) is exactly what i have experienced and documented in the post (s. link above).

We are quite sure this is something very trivial since normal-map works well since years in 3ds Max with every renderer on this planet. I went back to Max 2011 - and there Mental Ray was also defect, i am shocked no one in the game and cinema industry has noticed the flipping of the normals during the animation...

thanks
    best regards