Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so how to get by without multi/sub object?!

Default so how to get by without multi/sub object?!

is it coming in a new release or am i supposed to model every object that needs a new material separately? For example im rendering some text that has inset faces that are supposed to be a shinier material than the outer faces and aside from creating separate faces that would float above the surface of the text for the inset to apply the material to its just not possible, is there another solution? :/

Like this? the perimeter of the text is modeled separately of the reflective face. What modeler are you using? this was done with sketchup and i paint the areas i want with different materials a different color to they translate to max separately.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inset text faces.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	819.0 KB 
ID:	9443
    Last edited by SkellObissis; May 26th, 2017 at 15:27.

yeah exactly like that, what i did was just selected all the inset faces and cloned them to be a separate object than applied another material to them. Im using 3ds max, its cool that you are able to paint the areas you want to be different materials in sketchup..that would be really handy right now lol. But i think i can get by with your method of just making everything that is a different material its own object than grouped together

so i'm using 3ds max 2017 for modeling and rendering in iray+ and i'm not having difficulty using max's multi-sub material with iray+ in different slots. although wait, i think i posted a problem i had somewhere else and solved it by not using mult-sub material. can't remember off hand right now.

thats interesting...... i am using 3ds max 2016 maybe thats the issue. did you say you solved it?

I've used Iray material and Iray+material in both max2016,2017 and have never had a problem with multi sub object. It is created automatically when you join objects with different materials or assign a new material just to some faces.
    Are you using arch&design or autodesk materials?

i found my "problem" with multi-sub material... the only problem i seem to have had was creating a multi-sub with 2 materials, 1 of which was an animated sequence. the animated sequence was for a tv screen and the other matieral was for the box part of the tv. the problem was that the animated sequence would not render as sequence, only a still, a single frame. in the max viewport, it played just fine, but render time nope.

i can try in max 2016 the next time i'm back at work... i'm off all next week so might not be for a few days. otherwise, yeah they work for me in 2017 at least.

EDIT: the solution i did was kind of like yours - i detached the face of the tv screen as it's own object and applied the animated sequence only.

oh okay i havent tried that way, i was just expecting the multi sub node to be there in the material editor which i havent seen, although i didnt know you could create multi sub mtls that way so good to know!

FYI, sketchup is free and stupid easy to use, give it a shot. you can drag and drop then into max.

in both 2016 and 2017, i think you have to check the box in the material editor menu at the top that says show incompatible.