Thread: Best Practices for Installaiton and Configuration of Maya 2017 - render performance

Question Best Practices for Installaiton and Configuration of Maya 2017 - render performance

Hello,

I have looked around but cannot find any documentation on the recommended way for installing Maya 2017 for performance, especially looking to get high performance during rendering. Does anyone have any resources that describe the best practices for installing/configuring or know these off-hand and can share? I am looking for things like drive configuration (separate drives for installation, cache space, working directories, etc??), additional performance settings in the software itself, and anything else that may help the software perform optimally during rendering.

Thanks to all for the help provided on this forum!!

Best,
    BShepp

So you have not gotten your machine yet?

Multiple CPU cores help with interactive viewport. GPU helps with final frame render time.

What kind of scenes are you creating?

Are you using the NVIDIA mental ray for Maya for 2017? If so, we can lead you toward where rendering is headed.
    Barton Gawboy

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    So you have not gotten your machine yet?

Multiple CPU cores help with interactive viewport. GPU helps with final frame render time.
    I do, I have a custom built tower server with a specialized board capable of handling 4 Quadro or Tesla cards. I currently have two slots in use, one holding a Tesla K80 and the other a Quadro M6000. The server has dual Xeon E7 v3 procs with 64GBs of RAM running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. We are using Maya 2017 for creating animations and NVIDIA Mental Ray for Maya 2017 for in-app rendering along with the Standalone Mental Ray Renderer for batch rendering. But I want to optimize my install and configuration because as of right now, we are experiencing extremely slow render times and the Tesla or Quadro cards are not being utilized during rendering. What I mean is that during rendering, I watch the GPU monitor for both the Quadro and Tesla cards, the graph never moves from zero during the entire render process.

What kind of scenes are you creating?
    Unfortunately I am not the artist, just the IT guy attempting to help figure this all out. So I am not exactly sure what you mean by this question. We are creating animations of a bar room scene with several different characters moving about the bar. Do I need to be more specific or are you looking for anything else in particular? Please let me know if so and I will consult with the artist to get the info you need.

Are you using the NVIDIA mental ray for Maya for 2017? If so, we can lead you toward where rendering is headed.
    Yes, I am open to hear any iformation you can provide and feel is relevant.

Please ask the artist if they have "GI Next" turned on for indirect illumination. That uses the GPU, and the more it is used, the more benefit.

Also, ask what kind of materials are being used. And if possible, any extra information about the lights in the scene.
    Barton Gawboy

Also, seeing your other thread, I'm not exactly clear on how you are using the 'animation server' with the GPUs. Is that a standalone render of an exported mi file? Or a maya batch render? Or a satellite to the MRFM used by the artist?
    Barton Gawboy

She is using GI Next. I failed to follow-up on a reply to another thread that mentioned turning up the Indirect Diffuse Quality. I realized this and attempted the troubleshooting step last night. That worked!! I saw both GPU cards being utilized, spikes up to 50% at times. So apparently it has to do with the way the artist is configuring her scenes. Looks like she will need to do some research to learn how to configure her scenes with proper quality settings to see if adjusting any of these is appropriate. Do you have any recommendations for learning resources?

To address your last post on this thread, the "server" is just server parts in an extra large tower. It does not sit in a rack or anything, the tower sits at the artist's desk and she works directly on it with monitors, keyboard and mouse. GPUs along with Maya 2017 and Mental Ray for Maya 2017 are installed in this tower. Sometimes she runs batch renders over night but other times she renders via Maya while working during the day. At times, she also uses a batch render tool we came accross awhile back. Sorry for the confusion, does this help?

So, my take away from the troubleshooting step above is that increasing this quality setting is actually adding work to the rendering process, and not taking away work that is currently being done on system CPU and moving it to these GPUs. Is that a correct assumption? If so, am I also correct to assume that I am not going to be able to speed up render times by adjusting any of these settings, only increase render times by adding more work to the rendering process? Are there any settings that move work from CPU to GPUs or does the renderer handle that automatically?

Finally, since we know GPUs are working now, do you have any recommendations on configuring Maya 2017 and/or Mental Ray during and/or after installation, such as configuring the software to use different hard drives/SSDs and any other optimization configurations/settings.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the support!

BShepp

Typically, as a scene is made closer and closer to final frame quality with indirect lighting (which uses GI Next), more of the work is done on the GPU.

Is the artist happy for final frame quality with lower settings? In that case, then the GPU will not be as well utilized.

Are there a lot of lights to light the scene, or is the scene more dependent on "real world" lighting techniques using indirect more. And thus also turning up the diffuse depth (in Trace Depth section), to increase the indirect lighting effect.
    Barton Gawboy

Hi Bart, thanks for the explanation and continued support in light of this not being an application issue. I was not aware of the effects of these settings and not sure our artist was either. I will ask her to look into these settings to improve the quality of the videos as well as show her your recommendations and we will go from there.

Thanks again!
    BShepp