Thread: New to Iray, how to add image texture to a plastic MDL material ?

Default New to Iray, how to add image texture to a plastic MDL material ?

Hi,
    I'm using a trial version of the plugin for a couple of days and so far it looks great. I'm a cinema user for many years now, but I'm not an expert so forgive me if this is a silly question.
    I want to try some renders with Iray of an object with a texture image. I usually do a UV mapping with the BP edit layout and create all the material parameters from there.
    I'm wondering if there is a way to add an image to the demo materials or if there is a way to start the mdl material from scratch but using a the UV ?

if not how bad would be for the render to use standard materials mixed in the same scene with MDL materials?

Thanks

Your workflow doesn't really change. Do the same process of UV'ing you do now and create the UV tag as you would. I typically do this process with a dummy material. Once done, just replace the material with your MDL material.

Within the MDL material you simply add the image to the channel of interest. You no longer really need to use the core definitions for using bitmaps.

Does this help?

Thanks!! yes it worked.
    It was hard to find the way to add the texture, I was searching some texture option on the MDL material parameters. then I realised I need to click on the squares on the right. Thanks!