Thread: vmaterials for new vray 3.5

Default vmaterials for new vray 3.5

hi,
    i was just wondering whether we can use the vmaterials for the new vray 3.50.04 which supports nvidia mdl materials,
    if yes then how.... please help

Quote Originally Posted by amitgedia View Post
    hi,
    i was just wondering whether we can use the vmaterials for the new vray 3.50.04 which supports nvidia mdl materials,
    if yes then how.... please help
    --------
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...%7C+VRayMDLMtl

Works for VRay in 3DSMAX.

The main thing is --
    "
    In order for the MDL Material to correctly import NVIDIA vMaterials, the following two paths should be set in the environment variable below:
    VRAY_MDL_PATH_3DSMAX20yy_x64=%PROGRAMDATA%\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl;%USERPROFILE%\Documents\mdl
    where yy is the version of Max installed.

Example:
    VRAY_MDL_PATH_3DSMAX2018_x64=C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\3dsmax 2018 for x64\mdl;%PROGRAMDATA%\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl;%USERPROFILE%\Documents\mdl

"- Chaosgroup

The vMaterials Library if you don't already haven't it downloaded/installed : https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

-DJ

tried all the combinations and set the path to right folders in the environment variables and gave all the permissions but it doesnt work at all, as soon as we apply it, it gives an error saying "unable to resolve the paths, couldnt find *.mdl module" and max freezes and force closes.
    i am using 3dsmax design 2015, vray 3.6 and vmaterials 1.2 version
    please help
    Last edited by amitgedia; August 8th, 2017 at 10:25.

tried all the combinations and set the path to right folders in the environment variables and gave all the permissions but it doesnt work at all, as soon as we apply it, it gives an error saying "unable to resolve the paths, couldnt find *.mdl module" and max freezes and force closes.
    please help
    Can you try removing the vMaterials path(back to default) and see if you able to use the mdls that come default with Vray for 3dsMax (not vMaterials)?

Local Disk (C: ) > Program Files > Chaos Group > V-Ray > 3dsMax 20xx for x64 > mdl

To see if MDLs work at all.

----

I've asked ChaosGroup for their input troubleshooting regarding MDL in 3dsMax2015.
    If you are able to download a 3dsMax2017 trial, if still doesn't work on that version, that can help use narrow down the cause.

----
    Although the vMaterials site mentions the 1.2 dependencies, can you check the installed version number at
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vMat_version.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	9685.

If it is 1.2 and not 1.4, please update as there have also been fixes in the vMaterials.
    The ProfessionalApplicationCenter should update them, or https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

-DJ
    Last edited by DanielaFJ; August 10th, 2017 at 01:52.

yes i am having vmaterials 1.4.0 version now
    also the default vray mdl files works fine....
    also i just noticed that when i run 3dsmax as admin vmaterials work fine but certain features like drag and drop of materials doesnt work and if i run 3dsmax in normal mode it doesnt work so no idea what should it do.
    acccording to me either autodesk, chaos group or nvidia should sort out this compatibility issue and make it work normally...

if you have any suggestions then please share ...
    thanks for the reply...

please help
    Hello amitgedia,

Could you send me a more detailed error log in order to see what's happening? A crash dump file will be helpful as well (look for 3dsmax_minidump.dmp in your %TEMP% directory after 3ds Max crashes).

Best regards,
    Ivan

Hello Ivan,
    this is the error that i get in the log file

2017/08/18 16:47:40 INF: [11640] [12888] [V-Ray] Compiled with Intel C++ compiler, version 14
    2017/08/18 16:47:40 INF: [11640] [12888] [V-Ray] Host is 3ds Max, version 17
    2017/08/18 16:47:40 INF: [11640] [12888] [V-Ray] V-Ray DLL version is 3.60.03
    2017/08/18 16:49:33 ERR: [11640] [12888] [V-Ray] Material #1 ( VRayMDLMtl ) -- MDL -- Unable to resolve file path 'nvidia/vMaterials/Design/textures/burlap.png' in the module 'C:\Users\amitg\Documents\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials\De sign\Fabric\Burlap.mdl'
    2017/08/18 16:49:33 WRN: [11640] [12888] [V-Ray] Material #1 ( VRayMDLMtl ) -- MDL -- Failed to resolve "nvidia/vMaterials/Design/textures/burlap.png" in "::Burlap".
    2017/08/18 16:49:33 ERR: [11640] [12888] [V-Ray] Material #1 ( VRayMDLMtl ) -- MDL -- Unable to resolve file path 'nvidia/vMaterials/Design/textures/burlap.png' in the module 'C:\Users\amitg\Documents\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials\De sign\Fabric\Burlap.mdl'
    2017/08/18 16:49:33 WRN: [11640] [12888] [V-Ray] Material #1 ( VRayMDLMtl ) -- MDL -- Failed to resolve "nvidia/vMaterials/Design/textures/burlap.png" in "::Burlap".

and if i start 3dsmax in admin mode all things works fine

some help please
    Last edited by amitgedia; August 18th, 2017 at 13:28.

Hello amitgedia,

That crash is fixed in the latest nightlies. As for 3dsmax working in admin mode, that means that either some vMaterials resources are only visible to the Admin user (i.e., your normal user does not have access to them) or the environment variable for your user is missing or is not right. Please check if you have access to all vMaterials files and if the VRAY_MDL_PATH_3DSMAX2015_x64 variable has the path containing the 'nvidia' directory. For example, it might look something like this VRAY_MDL_PATH_3DSMAX2015_x64="C:\ProgramData\NVIDI A Corporation\mdl;C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials". It depends on where the vMaterials library has been installed.

Best regards,
    Ivan

Hi Ivan,
    checked all the environmental variables they are as per the instructions and all the vMaterials resource are visible in user mode also
    hope that the latest version (future release) of vMaterials solves this issue, till that time if you have any quick fix pleae share it.
    Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Hello amitgedia,

That crash is fixed in the latest nightlies. As for 3dsmax working in admin mode, that means that either some vMaterials resources are only visible to the Admin user (i.e., your normal user does not have access to them) or the environment variable for your user is missing or is not right. Please check if you have access to all vMaterials files and if the VRAY_MDL_PATH_3DSMAX2015_x64 variable has the path containing the 'nvidia' directory. For example, it might look something like this VRAY_MDL_PATH_3DSMAX2015_x64="C:\ProgramData\NVIDI A Corporation\mdl;C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials". It depends on where the vMaterials library has been installed.

Best regards,
    Ivan