Thread: VMaterial laminate mapping

Default VMaterial laminate mapping

I'm testing out converting a Brazil scene to iRay and I'm having a little issue with the "laminate Oak Light" shader. I have a bunch of surfaces representing strips of flooring and with the shader they all look like one continuous piece, trying to change the offset or scale in the per-object texture mapping settings has no effect. In Brazil you'd say the material has it's scaling set by WCS coordinates--well it seems like it's not exactly the same thing--but I don't see how to override it. I tried the "UV Space Index" setting but it seemed to not work.

I did try changing the object texture mapping from UV to, say, Planar, but while that did look different none of the settings seem to do anything.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by jcarruthers; September 10th, 2017 at 16:39.

Well, after some investigation it seems that per-object mapping is generally problematic, the settings don't work or the file needs to be reopened to update.

I have also had issues where the UV mapping is not updated in real-time, so if this happens I am forced to save and 'Revert' the project. I previously chose to close Rhino and reopen, but revert seems to reload the whole project resources and forces a refresh.

This isn't just isolated to the UV mapping. If I change or edit an image used within a material outside of Rhino and save it, the material does not automatically update or detect a change in the original resource while Rhino/Iray is running. I'm guessing that the image (for bumpmapping, diffuse mapping, etc.) is cached/embedded after it is selected, thereby ignoring the original file until it has been reselected or another file has been chosen and then the original file is selected again.

I have been meaning to bring this to the attention of the Iray team, but there are a few little issues that I have encountered for a while that I just haven't had the time to properly document it.

Does this seem like the same issue you are having?

Yes, I can confirm that changes in the UV projection do not get proagated to the Iray renderer. A reload of the scene will show the updated coordinates, which is a workaround but no solution. We have added this issue to our buglist and I bumped the priority. Sorry for the inconvenience,

With regards to what warmacre is saying, I have asked for this feature a while ago because I also find it crucial to get an update in the renderer as soon as I have made changes to a texture in Photoshop (or any other image editing software). This is what people expect from modern applications and I would also love to see this implemeted pretty soon, so I will try to bump that issue.

Best Regards,
    Rüdiger

Rüdiger,

you are absolutely correct in saying that people expect this kind of automatic detection and refresh from modern applications. As a long time Adobe user, this kind of thing has been around for many years, where if you are linking to an external resource in Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign/DreamWeaver, any change is reported and you are prompted either to implement the changes or keep the existing version.

As always, your help and vigilance is most appreciated. Many thanks.

Tony