Thread: Mental Ray Banding Issue with 32 bit renders

Default Mental Ray Banding Issue with 32 bit renders

Hey everyone, the issue I'm having has to do with banding within my mental ray 32 bit images. I'm using Maya 2017 with MR and I'll set the primary framebuffer to either 4x32 Float or 4x16 Half and I get banding in all of my images, no matter the image format. I've tried EXR, PNG, TIF, Targa, etc. The basic scene has regular maya shaders, so I've also tried attaching a gamma correct node to the shaders and I still get banding. I've applied a Mila shader to the entire scene and I still get banding. Now, if I switch the primary frame buffer to 4x8 I no longer have banding, but I lose a little quality in the overall image and I lose a solid alpha. The work around I've been using is rendering beauty at 4x8 and my alpha at 4x32. Also, if I move into Arnold I get no banding no matter the shader, light, or frame buffer I use. I may not be remembering correctly, but this used to not be an issue. I've viewed my images on multiple monitors and there's still banding. I've attached some of my test renders if that helps. Dithered is on in the render view. I've done so many tests with shaders, lights, and linear workflow and I'm stumped. I like using mental ray and arnold and would like to use both, but if this keeps happening I may just have to ditch MR and stay with arnold. Thanks for any help yall have.

All of the following have 1 area light

4x8 No Banding

4x32 Banding

4x32 gamma corrected shader banding

4x32 Mila shader banding

4x32 arnold no banding

Please help me see where the banding is.

The color levels are not the same between renderers, so I'd like to know how you are working with color profiles, gamma etc. Remember, that using explicit gamma nodes is a legacy technique.
    Barton Gawboy

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Please help me see where the banding is.

The color levels are not the same between renderers, so I'd like to know how you are working with color profiles, gamma etc. Remember, that using explicit gamma nodes is a legacy technique.
    Thanks for the reply Bart. On the first 4x32 image you can look near the computer monitor and see banding on the back wall. Here's an close up of where you should be seeing it:

As far as settings, color profiles, gamma, i'm using everything set to default. Color management on, sRGB color profiles with standard maya shaders:

At home I have standard 1080 acer monitors and I can still see the banding. At work I have dual 4K Dell monitors and it does seem more prevalent on them. Could this be an HDMI or DVI issue with the 4K monitors? Reason I'm thinking this is because when I render out the 4x8 images with no banding on my 4K monitors, they look awful on my standard HD monitors. And also it seems you may not be seeing the banding at all. Thanks for any help you have.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by SPACEMONKEY1 View Post
    I've done so many tests with shaders, lights, and linear workflow and I'm stumped.
    But you still have the whole scene to finalize, so on what are you stumped exactly ? As soon as you add real materials and lights you won't have any banding. Arnold5 on his side correlates final samples so from a pov of banding is like applying some jittering, also you have GI enabled there which removes banding if it's coming from the single arealight by adding diffuse light bounces.

Quote Originally Posted by maxt View Post
    But you still have the whole scene to finalize, so on what are you stumped exactly ? As soon as you add real materials and lights you won't have any banding. Arnold5 on his side correlates final samples so from a pov of banding is like applying some jittering, also you have GI enabled there which removes banding if it's coming from the single arealight by adding diffuse light bounces.
    maxt, right now I'm just doing tests without using GI and arnold. But I believe you are correct with adding a little more light or bounces I will get rid of the banding. Thanks for the reply!!

btw, here for example other people that are doing the same thing.. kinda wasting time on looking at a simple gradient done with _Arnold_ and ask themselves why they see banding http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...4&page=1&pp=15

Quote Originally Posted by maxt View Post
    btw, here for example other people that are doing the same thing.. kinda wasting time on looking at a simple gradient done with _Arnold_ and ask themselves why they see banding http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...4&page=1&pp=15
    ha ha yep. Has to be a monitor issue or something. Thanks for all the help and replies maxt!!