Thread: Shiny textures

Default Shiny textures

Hello, I have been having an issue for quite awhile with shiny textures where there shouldn't be any reflection or similar.

It only happens with Mental Ray - Maya Hardware 2.0 and Software always render the same meshes fine. It seems to be mainly with imported textures such as those from Autodesk's Character Builder. I remove the bump, the reflectivity but still get this strange reflective/no shadow look. Even when I give the texture a new Lambert you can see it and Lambert shouldn't even be capable of reflections.

Is this a known issue? Perhaps just a setting in MR that I have missed? Thanks. -Derryl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png a.png (336.5 KB, 49 views)
    • File Type: png b.png (287.2 KB, 47 views)
    • File Type: png c.png (333.6 KB, 49 views)

To me, some of lights seem off in the MR case. There are shadows missing for example in comparison to Mays SW. You don't use shadow maps, do you?

Same exact file setup, just the change of material or renderer. Does using shadow maps with MR cause problems?

Quote Originally Posted by 4dmaze View Post
    Same exact file setup, just the change of material or renderer. Does using shadow maps with MR cause problems?
    I am just speculating without knowing your scene and settings.
    I presume that the scene was generated with Maya SW in mind, so it might use old techniques and render settings, and Maya's traditional materials.
    Does the problem persist if you replace with mia_material for mental ray rendering?

Shadow maps typically require manual tuning for quality / less artifacts. I suggest you use ray traced shadows anyway with mental ray.

Sorry the late reply, I never get the notifications even though it is checked. I make all of my scenes with MR in mind, the images were things I did to figure it out. I also tried MR materials and got the same result, even the fast skin shader. I will try ray traced but the shadows take a lot more work.

Hard to judge just from the images. Perhaps you have a scene for us to reproduce?