Thread: Live Render Viewport Problem

Default Live Render Viewport Problem

Hi all,

I've recently downloaded the trial version of Iray 1.4 for Rhino, and I'm unable to get the live rendered viewport working.

My understanding is that it should become active by clicking on the name tag on the top left of the viewport to access the drop down menu, then selecting "Iray". However, when I do this the viewport continues to display an image of whatever it was displaying prior to switching to Iray.

I can see the iterations count rising in the settings menu if I attempt look around in the viewport, and if I close the Rhino session the live render appears in the viewport briefly before Rhino exits.

After some research I'm at a loss as to why this is happening, I'm completely new to Iray so there's probably a fair chance it's something simple. Im using and up to date version of Rhino 5, and the latest release of Iray 1.4

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Leonine,

I am sorry to hear that you are facing problems. In fact activating Iray rendering in the viewport is as easy as selecting it from the dropdown menu in the top left of the viewport.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	activating_iray_viewportrendering_rhino.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	9884

In case that you are facing problems, you might want to check whether you have installed the latest drivers for your GPU. In many cases a driver update elimites such hiccups.

Does this problem occur also when you start a new empty scene and you launch viewport rendering?

Best Regards,
    RĂ¼diger

I found the Iray behaving the same way as the initial post is describing.

It seems - perhaps - that the visibility of the viewport is somehow connected to Cuda. When I uninstalled the latest drivers of GPU and installed OEM drivers, everything is fine except the Iray says that it can't find supported Cuda device. In that case - perhaps - Iray is lacking GPU-support. Just now I am trying to install older versions of Iray, installing and uninstalling drivers, Nvidia experience, Intel drivers etc. with little success so far.

As a personal opinion, it is OK that Nvidia is developing new programs. Also, it is OK that those products are being sold. However, while facing several problems during the use it is a question if Nvidia has said that the product is delivering something that it is just not capable to deliver. Otherwise there should be CLEAR notes already before the purchasement that the product is under the development and it might not be used to create any of those pics that appear on their site.

Next time I will choose another product.

migenius has now taken over development of the Iray for Rhino plugin, please post any support questions to this forum instead:

https://www.irayplugins.com/forum/

While Iray for Rhino can work without a GPU, if you have an NVIDIA GPU installed but not a recent enough driver version you may encounter problems running the software. If you post in the new forum we can discuss the issue there.