Thread: Shared materials

Default Shared materials

This evening an idea just came up in my mind. What if we would have a common place where we can share our materials with descriptions and example photos,renders etc. This would save a lot of time instead of experiencing with every material we have to use in our work.

ex. kitchen scene (Kitchen.jpg)

categories/wood/laminate wood - materials would be categorized

laminate wood material - you could upload the shared material within a scene
    description,instructions (Laminete wood .jpg) - you could write a short description

Every render engine have a lot of description and shared techniques about light,materials, effects etc. but iray doesn't.
    We could start with the materials and continue with whatever the forum users want. Lighting and so on

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kitchen.jpg   Laminate wood.jpg  

I support this idea. The less we have to fiddle with settings, the more we can just focus on creating the art we want!

Here's a snow shader I'm working on. Admittedly, I just created it today and it's far from being final, but I wanted to see if it was possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7Xat0Bv.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	9963

Name:	NFOapba.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	9964

So I've made 4 materials. 3 of them are SSS (base) with flakes (coating). I modified the SSS diffuseweight so the SSS doesn't absorb too much blue. I also made each material have a unique roughness value (0.1, 0.5, and 0.9). Hence why I labled it in the image.
    I'm playing with flakes to create the "sparkle" you see in snow. Nothing too special here but again, I tweak the settings so the flakes don't overpower the snow base.

There is a bump map using stock Iray+ noise. I will eventually add in a more unique or better bump map for snow. I will also make textures for the diffuse and roughness because I'm just using boring values.

The last material is using a velvet shader as a base. I wanted to try this because other tutorials suggesting using that but I don't really like the results. I think SSS for snow is the way to go, and so I will just hand paint a roughness map to make it more realistic.

My future goal with this is to also add a displacement map. Unfortunately, I still have a very weak GPU with low memory, so I can only use it in sparing amounts. However, it will certainly boost the quality of realistic snow by 10x fold instead of using just bump maps.
    Last edited by JordanNVFX; November 19th, 2017 at 21:46.

I had more time to work on my snow shader. It really comes down to giving it real textures or else it kinda looks like boiled eggs.

I also added a displacement shader, which still requires a lot of power, but for a couple of snowball it seems to work ok on my system, but I have to work at a lower resolution.
    If anyone else wants to have a go at making snow, I've attached my material setup at the bottom!

Name:	kTzijsP.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	9967

Name:	IJa2oBq.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	9968

Name:	qz6RW2D.png