Thread: 20 November 2017: The end for Mental ray

Default 20 November 2017: The end for Mental ray

Today is the end for sell Mr by Nivida.

http://images.nvidia.com/content/new...ay-FAQ-201.pdf

the Funeral is cooming ....

And what's really sad, is the the company couldn't even be bothered to post the news in their own new section of the forum...
    Thanks guys!

I had a bad feeling about this already, especially given the almost complete lack of official tech responses on these forums. They'd been asked a number of times directly to give us some visibility with bug fixes and future development, and we got nothing at all. I am so glad I'd held off from actually buying a full license yet. I correctly figured, if they couldn't lay out a plan, it was too risky to invest.

It'd be nice if Nvidia decided to release the source code for future open-source dev. (assuming anyone around was interested and was up to the task). Probably won't happen, but one can dream...

Doug Bowker

Animation • Video • Motion Graphics
    www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com

I stay in 3ds max 2017 or 2016, inside mental ray work fine.
    The 2016 is more stable. the 2017 need some patch for distribuite rendering and proxy

i've been using mentalray since it started getting bundled with max. sad day has finally come. understandable to a great extent though, just didn't make business sense with all the alternatives. i am still worried about iray plugin which i beta tested and still like it very much! but there's competition for that too. mentalray really did great things for the times it was available. but changes in focus and business models... wouldn't be called "technology" if not

i kept reading about how nvidia is moving towards AI and i saw the writing on the wall, but it looks like either a subsidiary or whole other start up company is going to keep iray plugin going... at least for a while.

For me, made money with mental ray was difficult, because it was practically 99% free.