Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Withdrawal of NVIDIA Mental Ray and Mental Ray plugins effective November 20, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    The plugin is freely available for download also in this forum at Mental Ray for Maya Version 1.2 Update.
    It comes for Maya versions 2018, 2017, and 2016, on Windows, macOS, or Linux.

You can use it for interactive and rendering of still frames free-of-charge, no license required.
    To unlock rendering of animations with Maya Mental Ray Batch or Mental ray Standalone you need a license though.

In other words, please feel free to spread the plugin in your school or organization.
    If you are eligible for a perpetual license extension you may contact arc-licensing@nvidia.com.

Best,
    Steffen
    Might I ask why your team has decided not to simply remove the need for a license, given that you are no longer going to be selling this product?

You have nothing to lose by doing so, but a lot to gain through many hobbyists and professionals then using your software and potentially being drawn to other paid products you have such as Iray. It seems like quite a silly business decision to simply prevent any new users from accessing animated rendering with Mentalray for no good reason. You should be wanting to foster a userbase, not push people away, otherwise you ultimately lose in the industry through lack of recognition and people entering the workforce unfamiliar with your software.

Quote Originally Posted by Invertex View Post
    Might I ask why your team has decided not to simply remove the need for a license, given that you are no longer going to be selling this product
    The current decision takes into account certain legal and support obligations we have to fulfill in the next few years.
    We are open to giving out licenses to those who depend on Mental Ray in their current project or pipeline, just contact us.

Best,
    Steffen

My mentalray license has expired and I have sent a permanent license request to "arc-licensing@nvidia.com."
    but I have not received a response yet.