Thread: Cannot install mentalray for Maya 2018

Angry Cannot install mentalray for Maya 2018

I'm on Windows 10 version 1803 with everything needed installed.
    I download the installer "mentalray-for-Maya-2018-1.2-nt-x86-64-vc14-mr3.14.5.1.exe", double click it in order to run it, but ...
    Nothing happens!
    Then I wait patiently for a minute or so, something flashes on my screen, the effect of vision persistence tells me that the flash is a big nVidia logo, which is usually an indication of the beginning of a long installation of something big. Then ...
    Nothing happens any more!
    I checked Windows control panel but see nothing new installed. I checked processes in task manager beginning with "m"(mentalray) or "nv"(nVidia), but nothing interesting therein. So I concluded that the installation failed. And I come to here to submit my first thread.
    Could any nice guy please help me with this issue? The only humble thing I want to do is to have mentalray for maya 2018 installed so that I can open some old example Maya scenes in an acceptable manner. I don't expect anything more.
    Thanks for your help.

It appears that if you have just installed latest NVIDIA drivers (version >390) then the Mental Ray installer might stop working.
    This is caused by the newer NVIDIA installer, caching files on your system that are not compatible with the older MR installer version.

We are working on a fix.

As a workaround, you may rename/remove the cache files in the directory "<systemdrive:>/Program Files/NVIDIA Corporation/Installer2",
    and then run the MR installer again. This operation will invalidate the NVIDIA installer file cache, so followup installations may need to start from scratch
    since the installation history is lost.

Thank you for your help and work on fixing this issue, steve.

PS: the cache files are those of the form "installer.{...}" under Installer2.
    PS2: This is the Render View window in Maya 2018.3, rendered successfully with mentalray 3.14.5.1. Thank you again for your help.
    Untitled1.png