Thread: Mental Ray Installation Fails

Angry Mental Ray Installation Fails

I'm on Windows 10 version 1803 with everything needed installed.
    I download the installer "mentalray-for-Maya-2018-1.2-nt-x86-64-vc14-mr3.14.5.1.exe", double click it in order to run it, but ...
    Nothing happens!
    Then I wait patiently for a minute or so, something flashes on my screen, the effect of vision persistence tells me that the flash is a big nVidia logo, which is usually an indication of the beginning of a long installation of something big. Then ...
    Nothing happens any more!
    I checked Windows control panel but see nothing new installed. I checked processes in task manager beginning with "m"(mentalray) or "nv"(nVidia), but nothing interesting therein. So I concluded that the installation failed. And I come to here to submit my first thread.
    Could any nice guy please help me with this issue? The only humble thing I want to do is to have mentalray for maya 2018 installed so that I can open some old example Maya scenes in an acceptable manner. I don't expect anything more.
    Thanks for your help.

It appears that if you have just installed latest NVIDIA drivers (version >390) then the Mental Ray installer might stop working.
    This is caused by the newer NVIDIA installer, caching files on your system that are not compatible with the older MR installer version.

We are working on a fix. Update: a fixed installer is available here.

As a workaround, you may rename/remove the cache files in the directory "<systemdrive:>/Program Files/NVIDIA Corporation/Installer2",
    and then run the MR installer again. This operation will invalidate the NVIDIA installer file cache, so followup installations may need to start from scratch
    since the installation history is lost.
    Last edited by steve; August 27th, 2018 at 14:09. Reason: update

Yes, it works. The cache files should be those named "installer.{......}". When I delete them, the mentalray installer runs successfully. Thank you very much, steve.

I have used Windows 7, gtx 670 graphics when i try to install Mental Ray it failed ,in try to delete folder Installer2 , reinstall win 7 witholder driver for video card,not help install cuda now it even not started installation time to time appears and disappears installation,
    widow help me please I can't without mental Ray

i tried the same thing. didn't work for me. still the installer splash screen just blinks and goes off

I am hoping that it will be fix immediately, I am still waiting for the update. I wonder what seems to be the problem, the last time I check there's not an issue at all.