Thread: Does The IRay SDK Need A Quadro Card

Default Does The IRay SDK Need A Quadro Card

Hi all, at this website: https://developer.nvidia.com/iray-sdk

it says "Dependencies: NVIDIA Quadro with Fermi class or newer generation GPUs and Recent NVIDIA driver"

I may be misreading this but is it saying Quadro only - no GeForce? Is this a new thing? I thought Iray works really well with the high-end GTX cards.

Not updated webpage.
    Must read any card after Fermi class. And this includes also Geforce.

Thanks for the reply fuchs. But are there different licenses which can require a Quadro card?

The reason i ask is i am using a CAD visualisation application which has just implemented IRay rendering but i have been told it requires a Quadro card - sure enough it only works on my machine with the Quadro (i have 2 - 1 with a P5000 and the other a 1080 ti).

So could it be the license they have bought? Or have they done this for another reason?

Somebody must know the answer? Moderators, NVIDIA employees?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andysoldier View Post
    But are there different licenses which can require a Quadro card?

The reason i ask is i am using a CAD visualisation application which has just implemented IRay rendering but i have been told it requires a Quadro card - sure enough it only works on my machine with the Quadro (i have 2 - 1 with a P5000 and the other a 1080 ti).
    The application you are using has probably implemented their own licensing scheme, and may require a Quadro-class GPU.
    But generally, the Iray SDK allows to use any CUDA-capable card of the last few GPU generations.
    There are indeed few functional limitations (eg. interactive streaming from remote server) if you use consumer vs pro GPU.

Steffen

Thanks very much Steffen and fuchs.