View Poll Results: What is the major geometry type that you use?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • subdivision surfaces

22 23.40%
  • nurb surfaces

2 2.13%
  • polygons

69 73.40%
  • hair

1 1.06%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Displacement and Geometry Type Usage

film and tv work.

most of the time we use subdiv's, for creatures for example. because we work with xsi at the moment we have not the access to the native mr subdiv's so we use the internal xsi ones. we are also using displacements when its needed. for our last project we used a lot of hair, but thats not our every days geometry type. nurbs are not in use for a long time, only some simple patches, but not really "in use".

Default moving away from NURBS

video production, education

We're running 100%poly. We'd love to start using hair, but don't have the budget for it anytime soon. We had been using a lot of old NURBS based elements, but fading NURBS support from Autodesk has forced us to replace all NURBS objects with polys.

Games

We're using 100% polygons as everyone could guess, no matter if we're doing models for use in a real time game engine, doing cinematic or pre-rendered games. Occasionally we convert to sub-d at render time... Displacement?! Hardly As for hair... We're doing a lot of characters that need it, and still most of the time, it's modeled with polygons the old way, coz rendering hair with mental ray is pain in the as*.

Film and TV:

I use primarily polygons with approximations and displacements for environment work. I am recently switching to Poly's from nurbs because of some reoccurring light leaks at seams. Pollys seem to render a bit faster and are lighter in the scene. But there is an issue when trying to look develop with iRay. Projection coordinates are lost in iRay that render fine in mental ray ( polygonal surfaces with planar projections ). I do still find some uses for nurbs because of ease of use for tubing and different types of forms.
    Engineering data can prove to be problematic when converted from nurbs to polys so in that case I typicaly keep the nurbs geometry.

Softimage whenever possible, so:

Polymeshes and sub-d for the most part. Lots of particles and strands.

Usually try to avoid displacement for speed and footprint considerations.